700 Series II Clair Originality

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Joe, are these adapter plates so you can mount them? These are JFET's???

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, are these adapter plates so you can mount them? These are JFET's???
Those are the adapters and they are JFET input op amps.

It is very tricky to correctly wire in an op amp with a GBW of 41MHz without running into trouble...

Northwinds

Tagline
How would you approach it then if you were looking at it? Things to beware off etc...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That's a dual pair. The series II's already has LF356 op amps in it so it's pretty much a straight replacement with the same part number but in a flat pack. Ed has touched upon what it takes to go to a LF351 so we won't do anything not already done by the experts. I will do a test mule and put sockets in it and try the 351's.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
This is a great review Perry

I am working on a inverted input so I can make one of the D500 into stereo or mono output using a dual op am as per the attached diagram. I plan to use the burnn-brown oap 2134 dual op amp or the tol-72 op amp. This thanks to Nick S THD+N

image.jpg

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hell, all the work has been done. I'll use the shit out of this check list. Thanks, Printing some as we speak.

Very nice work and thorough too.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Been there, done that.....a lot of fuckin work.....that's why I celebrated when Joe came out with the backplanes...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Been there, done that.....a lot of fuckin work.....that's why I celebrated when Joe came out with the backplanes...
Maybe I'll revisit the backplane replacement. It is a lot of work too though. Total rewire of the whole chassis... Kinda kills the originality of these. IDK......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, ya gotta weigh the work of the original restoration to the value you can get when done. If your goal is to get em running to flip, socket replacement Is pretty extreme and unlikely to increase value to the average buyer. If you restore them to Ed standards you never will get your money out of em. And ebay is a crapshoot any day of the week.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You got that right. I'll think about it since I have time. I didn't really want to flip them on the bay, I did a few units to raise some money for parts which I got most of on order yesterday with the exception of backplane resistors, sandpaper for covers, and new bolts for the transformers. I got some 400's I'll flip shortly since they are not my cup of tea. I'll use them for parts money too. I'm going to do 2 Clair amps (serial numbers 9462 and 9463) and put them in the for sale area here. They aint gonna be cheap but you never know who may be wanting a set of matched luggage.

Northwinds

Tagline
400 Series II Perry? Maybe they are 400 Series II PRO's LOL??? Wouldn't that be something cool indeed! Any interesting stickers in them?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have been so busy with other stuff, I have not had time to even look at the 400's. They are series II's but that's about all I know about them. I was going to give one to my friend for helping me haul pallets of amps and unboxing and cleaning and stuff but when he found out he'd need a preamp, and a tuner and.... He said "keep it, buy me a steak dinner instead".... Cool