700 Series II Build

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I don’t feed my WOPL a lot of digital, but when I do, it’s WIIM mini
digital is all i got here...no media available....
we just got electricity on the farm in sept 2005...still dont have land lines...i consider that an advantage however....lololol

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
The black anodized faceplates with the cylon meters kinda have a cyberpunk vibe to 'em. would look good in a system with Nakamichi BX/RX/Dragon decks, an early Yamaha CD player, Teac X2000R.........

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
I received the amp from Eric a week ago. The 700 sounds so clean and am so impressed with it.
Eric has gone above and beyond with all the help and answering all my questions. He did an amazing job with excellent customer service. Cant recommend him enough.

The amp has shown / highlighted a few issues I am having with the JBL l100t's which probably need some work.

A deal popped up on 2 pairs of the JBL l100 Century's and as much as I shouldn't have (wife is not happy lol), I picked them up.

Running just 1 pair of the l100 was a little underwhelming compared to the l100t's. Apparently the l100t's can take 200-400wpc vs the l100 is 50-100wpc. I like the highs and sub on the l100t and the l100 has better mids.

My shop is 2,000sf so its nice to be able to fill the space.

I tried running both pairs of the l100's in parallel and was pretty impressed on the higher end of volume. They really come alive at 70%+ volume but are not as nice for my ears at the lower volumes.

To my surprise when the 700 is running the 2 pair in parallel the amp got less hot then running the single pair of l100t's at 70-90% for a couple hours.

I dont want to hurt the amp and all the work Eric put into this thing. I really dont want to damage the WOPL 700II.

What do you guys think about running 2 pairs in parallel? At times this amp will run at 50-70%+ 20240731_001251.jpg for 8-12hrs a day.

Might be more fitting to just make another dedicated post but thought I would start here.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I received the amp from Eric a week ago. The 700 sounds so clean and am so impressed with it.
Eric has gone above and beyond with all the help and answering all my questions. He did an amazing job with excellent customer service. Cant recommend him enough.

The amp has shown / highlighted a few issues I am having with the JBL l100t's which probably need some work.

A deal popped up on 2 pairs of the JBL l100 Century's and as much as I shouldn't have (wife is not happy lol), I picked them up.

Running just 1 pair of the l100 was a little underwhelming compared to the l100t's. Apparently the l100t's can take 200-400wpc vs the l100 is 50-100wpc. I like the highs and sub on the l100t and the l100 has better mids.

My shop is 2,000sf so its nice to be able to fill the space.

I tried running both pairs of the l100's in parallel and was pretty impressed on the higher end of volume. They really come alive at 70%+ volume but are not as nice for my ears at the lower volumes.

To my surprise when the 700 is running the 2 pair in parallel the amp got less hot then running the single pair of l100t's at 70-90% for a couple hours.

I dont want to hurt the amp and all the work Eric put into this thing. I really dont want to damage the WOPL 700II.

What do you guys think about running 2 pairs in parallel? At times this amp will run at 50-70%+ View attachment 82731 for 8-12hrs a day.

Might be more fitting to just make another dedicated post but thought I would start here.

You are inviting BIG PROBLEMS running speakers in parallel on a WOPL..... DON'T DO IT!!!!

Marvin1.jpg

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
I recapped my JBL L7's a month ago, the difference is sound was quite noticeable. The caps in your speakers are around 40 years old...
I had read about that, will have to look into it more. Good to know that made a noticeable difference.

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
Your builder didn't recommend it so you did it anyway??? Amazing.
He suggested a lot more then that, but if you want to take that for face value go ahead.

"Running 2 sets of speakers off the same amp in either configuration will always have some form of compromise.

From an audio quality perspective, running in parallel will likely sound better but potentially cause issues with the amp. Depending on duration of listening, amp temperature, and volume level, the performance of the amp with low impedance loads below 4 ohms can degrade and potentially engage output protection circuits. Even when speakers are nominally rated at 8 ohms, the actual value depends on the frequency of the signal and can sometimes dip as low as 2 ohms.

Running with speakers in series places each crossover in series and will most likely degrade sound quality.

I would try each configuration to determine what works best, just be careful at loud levels in parallel config by listening for any abnormal sounds. The upgraded 700 is a very robust amp and may handle those speakers in parallel just fine.

See attached file for the original PL700 Series II owners manual for reference and general reading if you don't already have. See page 7 for mention of speaker connection and limitation of 4 Ohm speakers." 700 parallel.png

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Neither of those illustrations show a parallel set up but it IS your amp so you can connect it however you wish. I notify my customers that connecting in parallel would void any warranty. Had I known that Eric didn't recommend it either, I would have left it at that. But YOU asked. (What do you guys think about running 2 pairs in parallel? At times this amp will run at 50-70%+)

All the stuff out of the manual really has zilch to do with a WOPL since it replaced all that old crap and doesn't even resemble the original.. Carry On...... But, if you don't like the answers, you can ask the designer and THAT would trump anything us builders say. Why ask what we think if you are gonna get all indignant about it? (He suggested a lot more then that, but if you want to take that for face value go ahead. )

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
Your builder didn't recommend it so you did it anyway??? Amazing.
Your comment is anything but constructive or helpful and yes, taken for face value.

Eric recommended and suggested a lot of great info, I was here for more help as I am new to this.