700 B WOPL New build Question

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Can someone clarify the grounding scheme when using the full WOPL upgrades and the watts DC protect board on the 700B ?

1) RCA input , just shielded cable to the copper ground plane NO case ground ... Yes ?

2) A single ground from pin 6 of the protect board to the star point ground .... Yes ?

The Watts abundant instructions call for multiple grounds.... Notes at the end of the White Oaks instructions say different.....

What is the proper configuration ??? :roll:

Mattoe
Yes and Yes, but you need to add 2 18AWG ground runs from the star point ground to appropriate pins of the J1 and J2 terminal blocks on the DCP as well.

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
Thanks for the reply !

Are you thinking of the 400 ? The 700 board has one Phoenix connector with 7 connections.. This is what I think the connections should be

1 Left channel
2 Left channel gnd
3 Right channel
4 Right channel gnd
5 AC from rectifier
6 New wire to star gnd ?
7 AC from rectifier

The confusion is if any other gnd is required at pin 6 ....

Mattoe

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Can someone clarify the grounding scheme when using the full WOPL upgrades and the watts DC protect board on the 700B ?
1) RCA input , just shielded cable to the copper ground plane NO case ground ... Yes ?
Correct, grounds tied together, then soldered onto shield. Shield floats above the chassis with the swedge washers.

2) A single ground from pin 6 of the protect board to the star point ground .... Yes ?
Correct

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Thanks for the reply !

Are you thinking of the 400 ? The 700 board has one Phoenix connector with 7 connections.. This is what I think the connections should be

1 Left channel
2 Left channel gnd
3 Right channel
4 Right channel gnd
5 AC from rectifier
6 New wire to star gnd ?
7 AC from rectifier

The confusion is if any other gnd is required at pin 6 ....

Mattoe
Single ground, but use it twisted pair style with the 2 acs, and route on the top. Other GNDS and +/- DC on the bottom.

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Sounds good ! Thanks.... I just realized something... My 700B Has a 3 prong AC cord.... Looks to me like a addition sometime in its past.... The wire relief through the chassis just doesn't look right... The ground wire is bolted to the chassis just as it enters...... I assume the 700 B never had a grounded plug ? Your thoughts ??? :roll: Ground or not to ground ? :roll:

Mattoe

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Not to ground........... I TRIED IT AND NO WORKY WORKY.... I even tried grounding through the unused DC/Normal switch, so you could switch the ground on and off, no effect (affect) (oh, i'm infected)....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Did you end up with noise ? Or , just no effect at all ?? I don't know what the idea was .... Shock protection maybe ?

Mattoe
It didn't affect the WOPL at all. Maybe if I was sitting in the bathtub with a WOPL on my lap............ Joe or Lee may be able to elaborate but with Joe's New chassis kits, we don't wire in the ground.

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
100v bias reading Help !

Hey Guys,

I was up late getting the final assembly complete but I have a problem ! I ran the 700 up with the variac and DBT without the driver board and all outputs installed all was well.....
"Click" from the protection board... Wired in the driver board ... No click ? I found 100v output from the left back plane board to the protect board... 100 V at the left bias test point!
The right bias test point is steady at .350 mv and has a wide range if I tinker with the pot..... No smoke ... panel lights are good.... Point me in the right direction ?

Thanks !

Mattoe

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Check your bias transistor. Too much heat when you solder them in will kill them. I use a heat sink (a little Joe) across the leads when soldering.

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Help ???

I pulled the Bias transistors and switched them left to right No change ...... .Ideas ? I thought I was gonna have this 700B booming tonight ...... :sad7:

Mattoe

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

I was up late getting the final assembly complete but I have a problem ! I ran the 700 up with the variac and DBT without the driver board and all outputs installed all was well.....
"Click" from the protection board... Wired in the driver board ... No click ? I found 100v output from the left back plane board to the protect board... 100 V at the left bias test point!
The right bias test point is steady at .350 mv and has a wide range if I tinker with the pot..... No smoke ... panel lights are good.... Point me in the right direction ?

Thanks !

Mattoe

Hi Matt
Assuming your voltage on the left channel is PLUS 100V. You did not give a sign, only the magnitude.

First thing to check is that you have ~-100 on pad 12L of the left channel on the control board and ~+100 on pad 11L of the left channel on the control board. You may not have the -100 connection from the backplane to the control board on pad 12L. Each channel is independent.

Check that out and report back.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I pulled the Bias transistors and switched them left to right No change ...... .Ideas ? I thought I was gonna have this 700B booming tonight ...... :sad7:

Mattoe

Yer asking for trouble, don't swap delicate components, use a meter and CHECK them.

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks for your response ! I truly appreciate the help ! So, yes pad 12L -103v pad 11L +103v Have you got a next step in mind ? :blob5:

Mattoe...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Excuse me, between ground and output on the testpoints on the afflicted channel?

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
I have +101v out of the left backplane to the DPB and 0v out from the right..... Right channel looks good with a .350v bias ..... I assume the output relay will not close because of the +100v :roll:

Mattoe...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That's correct, and every thing was fine till you soldered in the driver board??