700/1 “Tim” WOPL driver board

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Andrew, here's a few photos of what's headed your way shortly. I tested those outputs last spring as I wanted to reuse them, all test good with a Fluke on diode setting and decent match with a old Micronta transistor tester. I'm not reusing them because the wife bought me new storage caps and outputs for my Birthday. I have a great wife!!!
The full complementary back wall looks good, especially the sockets. I cut the wiring as long as possible to facilitate reuse.
Would be VERY cool if you can adapt it to your 700 1, but do with it whatever you want. Also sending you a coffee can amount of older untested outputs and back walls from the 2 400s
The current 700 I'm building will be my last amp build. Going to pursue FM tuners and test equipment while enjoying my 3 WOPLs.

Attachments

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Andrew, here's a few photos of what's headed your way shortly. I tested those outputs last spring as I wanted to reuse them, all test good with a Fluke on diode setting and decent match with a old Micronta transistor tester. I'm not reusing them because the wife bought me new storage caps and outputs for my Birthday. I have a great wife!!!
The full complementary back wall looks good, especially the sockets. I cut the wiring as long as possible to facilitate reuse.
Would be VERY cool if you can adapt it to your 700 1, but do with it whatever you want. Also sending you a coffee can amount of older untested outputs and back walls from the 2 400s
The current 700 I'm building will be my last amp build. Going to pursue FM tuners and test equipment while enjoying my 3 WOPLs.
That’s awesome! Thanks George. I have no doubly they’ll end up in Tim. I’m getting back to working on Linda next. She’s a full blown WOPL 400/1. When I get that done I can retire Tim again to receive the full comp treatment. Thank you again, very generous of you.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
10-4 bud.. be careful after changing resistors...you dont want the meters pegged constantly..
Pretty sure I can dial them meters up a good bit. I swear I can clip the amp and they don’t even approach the red... I’ll try Linda’s 11k I think they are and see. Was reading over the assembly destructions for Linda’s backplane/chassis assembly today. That’ll be next project. Can’t wait to try out the “full Monty”. Tim sounds really good and also never tripped on high temp even after a real hard run. I think that right channel always ran hot, possibly those bias resistors were hurt all along? The bias either measured perfect or randomly high. Both channels seem even temp and several bias checks later they’re both stable even at various temps. Knock on wood I think Tim’s performing properly now.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Pretty sure I can dial them meters up a good bit. I swear I can clip the amp and they don’t even approach the red... I’ll try Linda’s 11k I think they are and see. Was reading over the assembly destructions for Linda’s backplane/chassis assembly today. That’ll be next project. Can’t wait to try out the “full Monty”. Tim sounds really good and also never tripped on high temp even after a real hard run. I think that right channel always ran hot, possibly those bias resistors were hurt all along? The bias either measured perfect or randomly high. Both channels seem even temp and several bias checks later they’re both stable even at various temps. Knock on wood I think Tim’s performing properly now.
Yes a wonky bias resistor can cause heat...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Maybe go with the Japanese approach with the “10 watt/100 watt” meter range switch…
I could wire in a range switch like the 700b or
Maybe even install a couple pots with a series resistor for minimum value? I’m not real fussy on messing with it, it’s just this 700/1 never danced the meters more than maybe 1/4 scale even driven hard. Seems off in that sense, Linda if I recall from reading the manual (original PL manual) said 0dB was 50w, if I pushed her the meters were pegged constant with no clipping. Tim needs a little adjustment get them moving a little and that said, they’re just pure eye candy but I love me some analog meters... Lee came to the rescue years ago with a replacement meter for Linda... I dicked it being stupid and it bothered me as a black eye. Glad that’s fixed...