700/1 “Tim” WOPL driver board

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
There’s a little noise at idle even with no input plugged into the RCA’s. Not terrible but wonder if I can do something different with the signal wires to eliminate that...

mlucitt

Hard to believe that the paste was conductive if it was the real stuff, Dow Corning 340. It could be something else, of course.
More likely it was a strand of wire, a ball of solder, or some conductive cat hair from a cat that has been licking a roll of solder.
Congratulations, it does feel good when you lick a notoriously frustrating problem.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks, sure was a good learning experience really, the entire process also. There’s things I would do differently and will probably address in the future. Might also consider making this amp into a full complimentary amp after Linda (400/1) gets her full WOPL, which is next on the list. That will be nice to start with a bare chassis rather than adding to existing components I think.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Also can’t say enough about the help available here, Joe and Dons parts are excellent quality, Lee and everyone else helped and really got me through this project. This is basically my introduction to electronics and I’m really learning from the experience. It was a lot of fun also. I’ve got another WO driver board and back planes for Linda sitting here. I’ll start assembling those boards next. I found populating the driver board was a real fun way to spend an evening, put some tunes on and solder away...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You should have had more noise with no inputs plugged in than the pre amp hooked up. Probably as quiet as it's going to be with standard backwall. Recheck grounding scheme and wire runs. Meters work?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
You should have had more noise with no inputs plugged in than the pre amp hooked up. Probably as quiet as it's going to be with standard backwall. Recheck grounding scheme and wire runs. Meters work?
It makes no difference with the pre amp plugged in or not. It’s VERY minor noise and my speakers are pretty efficient also so... yes the meters work, there are no light bulbs in them, I’ll have you include a set next time a care package or 700b comes this way... hint hint...

it’s been playing quietly for hours now. Couple hard runs in between, got it warm, bias stable, no complaints really. DC offset is 0v.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ok, this is the test... I’m having some rum and beer, getting “free” with the volume knob and Tim’s taking it like a champ. Better than “warm” borderline hot and bias is stable, DC offset 0-1mV, sounds great. If I haven’t lit it on fire by now it’s probably good.