25$ worth record clamp

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
6 tight on an inch and a half is a lot without nitrogen...
indeed. Brass is a .900 shaft. This was quick-n-dirty (obviously) so I was using calipers not proper mics. We have liquid oxygen but I don’t like to use it with any possibility of oil involved...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I was taught by a tool and die maker on a Hardinge Super Precision. I LOVE that machine. This is a Hardinge second operation lathe. We had two, and a pile of parts. I went through everything and got the nicer one cleaned up and running. Sold off the turret and other bits and bought stuff I needed for this one.

The apron sits on the dovetail and clamps in place. So there is no apron travel- you have to use the cross feed which limits how far you can go. But it does have the scale underneath with the magnifier to set the compound (which I guess isn’t a compound in this case) but it’s really slick, and you can do some fancy shit in no time if you know how to use what’s there.

Under the (original!) chuck it takes 5C collets. We had two collet closers for these that apparently got scrapped. $1500 for another so I have to use the drawbar (drawpipe really) and it’s difficult to get enough tension with that.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Especially remanufactured by the federal government after WW II then stuck in cosmoline and storage until the early 90's and early 00's.....like new for pennies on the dollar.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Excellent! I have to get off me arse and make one now! Got a pile of dishes to do, a forklift to fix for a friend first though... not fun.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Came out pretty nice for some scrap material and a few hours...
It sure did. Really like the brass knob. I was thinking to make mine one piece, I have some radius ground bits kicking around. To machine a knob directly onto it. Might have to watch the end weight though if making from this piece of stainless I have. Could get heavy quick.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I did the first one (drawing posted earlier) out of a single chunk of aluminum.

This one has the advantage the weight is near the center, to hold the disc down, but does not add significant rotating mass, since the "clamp" bit is thin aluminum. It still ads weight to the bearing however.

Maybe having more mass at the periphery is desirable (more flywheel effect) , but I don't have a way to dynamically balance it anyway, so this seems to simply hold the record down, which is/was the idea.

I have some scrap tungsten- I could add a bit of flair (and mass) to the center of the brass...

EDIT: make the lower bit out of plexiglass! Then you can read the label while it's on!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Cool idea with the plexi! Would suit the Prisma! I would bet that more mass at the periphery would be beneficial, how much may not be easily measurable/negligible. As far as balancing, years ago a friend built a “mass moment of inertia” dynomometer for testing kart racing engines. It was a flywheel toughly 30” diameter and 2” thick made from 4140 annealed. He was paranoid about the balance as it was to spin around 3000 rpm. After carful machining of the flywheel and axle he sent it for balance. It was perfect as it was. Basically what I’m getting at is modern steels are pretty consistent throughout and at 33 1/3 on 3” diameter you would need serious alien tech to detect any off balance!

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I think Harry Weisfield beat you to it, Jim. Never figured out why he didn't use this on his higher-end 'tables (other than you can charge more for a purty metal weight). This one keeps warps down to the least I've ever experienced with the threaded knob/spindle to clamp the record in place.

IMG_2023.JPG