Any opinions on this brand of sound equipment?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's a very serious question and right now the price is still right. It closes at 8:44 am Pacific this morning. I would like one and the DBX stuff will likely go nuts.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Orange, do you seriously want a compressor? Usually us guys are going for zero compression.

orange

Tagline
It's a limiter and noise gate as well...yes, it's a piece of equipment I need for my recording center.

orange

Tagline
If the price doesn't run away or it doesn't get sniped from under me it's coming home with me.

For the price and what I know from the recording classes I took in the 1990s this is an essential piece of equipment for a serious, more professional studio. Compression isn't the enemy, it's the usage in the hands of a nincompoop. The noise gate and limiter alone will be of great help.

I'm serious about the kind of recording I want to do. I'm not just going to copy the Boomtown Rats...

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I know that Rolls has been around for a while but have never used any of their products. Most of it appears to be built fairly well. Will look forward to your review.

Robert

orange

Tagline
Thank you Robert for the answer I was originally looking for and I will do just that :)

orange

Tagline
It's here! Had to have Lee get it and he took a few days, guy's BUSY ya know...

I gotta refigure where I plug stuff in though in this part of the room, running out of options.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
It's here! Had to have Lee get it and he took a few days, guy's BUSY ya know...

I gotta refigure where I plug stuff in though in this part of the room, running out of options.
Power strips are your friends, but only if you don't get too crazy. I have an AR power strip that even yelps if there is a problem with the power. A pair of Cleanline Jr's round it out, but I've learned not to use them for power amps.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Power strips are your friends, but only if you don't get too crazy. I have an AR power strip that even yelps if there is a problem with the power. A pair of Cleanline Jr's round it out, but I've learned not to use them for power amps.
So, then- what’s a good power strip to use? What’s a good brand/model that people are using? I want one to mount on the back of a rack, don’t need more than six outlets. I looked at a few reviews, but don’t think they’re written by people with high current equipment. I even read one that said the owner disassembled it and found 20ga wiring inside! SERIOUSLY?

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Mark, since I wrote the post you quoted, I have sold my Cleanline Jr's and have found happiness with hospital-grade isolation transformers. I don't remember what company made the Cleanline Jr's, but they made a rackmount "power strip." Have you considered a PS Audio regenerator? Or...you could make your own power strip, choosing your own case, plug, cord, outlets and internal wiring. Yeah, there are gobs of cheapies out there...

edit - I remember now, the Cleanlines were made by a company called VansEvers. I still have their Companion power strip, and it is a good one. I use it in the shop, not for audio.

Last edited:

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
So, then- what’s a good power strip to use? What’s a good brand/model that people are using? I want one to mount on the back of a rack, don’t need more than six outlets. I looked at a few reviews, but don’t think they’re written by people with high current equipment. I even read one that said the owner disassembled it and found 20ga wiring inside! SERIOUSLY?
Look for anything by Furman.
Very popular with Pro Music and Home Studios.
The 'Bays full of a variety of types. You should be able to find something there....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+Furman+P-1800&_osacat=0&_sop=15&LH_PrefLoc=1

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Furman is good and widely used in pro audio, recording studios etc.

I had read, decades ago, that one offered by Rat Shack is a good choice, so I bought one. Really basic but heavy duty (not very flexible) cord and all metal construction. Switch got flaky so I decommissioned it... Won't throw it out, because it just needs a switch.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I've had good luck with a couple of Tripp-Lites. Have an 8 outlet model for the computer and stuff and a four outlet model feeding the two Counterpoint filters for the stereo. Been using Tripp-Lites since the 80s when I was protecting a $35K Macintosh that didn't do as much as my iPhone.

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
Paid $10 at a yard sale in NJ for a
Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer, Power Strip & Switcher

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Look for American made with a statement of what is inside. All the names are still for profit and to me Tripp Lite is not to be trusted from the junk they have sold me in the past. If they rip off the little guy there is even more money to be made higher up- they are crooks which is why when I was Chief Engineer at Radio Stations in Chicago never did Tripp Lite get purchased and in fact APC is always a better solution if not the more larger units.
Often times you need to open and look inside as they all try and short change you. They will give you total wattage of a strip but they do not say what a single output is and if you are plugging in an amp to a strip that is wrong from the start- you need to take that directly to a 20Amp wall socket. Other stuff like CD players and other sources that do not take 3 amps can go into a strip.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think today, if buying new, the best one can hope for is "made in USA with globally sourced components".

And even that, does not guarantee the unit is of quality construction. Really, the best bet is to rely on reviews of those who have purchased the item in question. That, is one of the few good things that was spawned by the internet.