New Member: Planning my PL400 rebuild

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Thanks to all for the warnings about the inadequacies of the 4-fin heat sink. I have secured compatible 8-fin heat sinks and a transformer upgrade and will proceed with my now-fortified and much beloved original PL400 for the project.
If your four-fin unit came with the two Transistor Covers, I would be interested in them for my four-fin PL400.
Mark

jle

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Older than I act, younger than I look
If your four-fin unit came with the two Transistor Covers, I would be interested in them for my four-fin PL400.
Mark
Hi Mark. I am still working on transistor covers. I will keep you in mind (and first in line) if I find myself with extra covers from the 4-fin configuration.

jle

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Mark
Hi Mark -- As of this evening, I have found transistor covers for the 8-fin heat sink that I am transplanting onto my PL400. I will therefore should have the two transistor covers from the now-defunct 4-fin heat sink available for you. Once I get everything in hand and triple-check it, I can send you the two covers. Please send me a PM and let me know your mailing address.

-Jon

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The Superior Electric Powerstat arrived today. It looks to be in excellent condition from the outside. The knob turns quite smoothly. I will do some light cleaning of the case with a paper towel moistened with some Sprayway. Is there anything else I should do? Like spray the innards with DeOxit? Or, if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!?

-Jon
"Spraying the Innards" won't do anything. When resto'ing one, you do what you think needs doing. Wires? Maybe, new transformer? Sometimes, new meters??? Sure...... New Switches and fuse holders?? Yesssss.......... It's like restoring an old car, you rebuild, repair, clean, replace whatever needs the attention. If all else fails, spray bomb it and and tell everybody you restored it but lost the receipts. :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hi Mark -- As of this evening, I have found transistor covers for the 8-fin heat sink that I am transplanting onto my PL400. I will therefore should have the two transistor covers from the now-defunct 4-fin heat sink available for you. Once I get everything in hand and triple-check it, I can send you the two covers. Please send me a PM and let me know your mailing address.

-Jon

Do the 4 fin transistor covers FIT???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thoughts on the Staco?

I like meters on a Variac (not really on an amp). When using one with meters, you can tell when issues are occurring without having to hook up a bunch of test stuff. But, you got to know your equipment and recognize how they act when working correctly (Current/Wattage draws) and by paying close attention you know if you need to pull out the test equipment. I only use the DBT on fresh amps. I think Staco made a couple metered models and I wait to find what I WANT, not what I pay for it. It's better to be satisfied than wishing you would have scored my dream machine.

jle

New Around These Parts
Tagline
It's like restoring an old car, you rebuild, repair, clean, replace whatever needs the attention. If all else fails, spray bomb it and and tell everybody you restored it but lost the receipts.
My usual approach is to just open it up, look around, scratch my head, put it back together again and hope that it is now miraculously fixed.

BTW, if I am ever on life support in the intensive care unit, please just unplug me. Wait 20 seconds then plug me back in again. It works for my computer.