Dual-500 king of the Castle

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I have no control because the product is not coming from me.

I tried to get something moving with former ML dude but he didn’t reply to the information provided.

Now a pre-production prototype is kicking Pass…

Once I know it is available and who the company is I will let you guys know.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
The DH-101 used very good transistors in the circuits...
I bought an early DH-101 after reading the review in STEREO REVIEW. Although the circuits used low noise transistors the cost savings was in the switches and pots. On mine, the volume control knob rubbed on the balance knob due to a poor fit. The 101 was a definite improvement over the Dynaco PAT-4 which was all I could afford at the time.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Been a while since I have posted any updates on the D500 rebuild project I started a couple months ago, but to date it has been a matter of getting the chassis prepared for some circuit enhancements Glen has been developing for this platform, as well as getting the backplane he built for me installed back onto my rear chassis/heat sink. Also had to modify the heat sink to accommodate an IEC connector and the gold plated input/output jacks required additional clearance to ensure no conductors are touching the chassis metal. Next I will be starting on the WOAD Control board and some changes Glen and Joe have developed.

In the meantime, my amp did not arrive with a top cover and the bottom cover was pretty well beat up ... simply repainting would not work. Bondo might have fixed some of the damage, but that was not an option either. Glen provided me a couple pics of his top cover ... which I went to a local fabrication shop and had several sets of tops&bottoms made up. They are laser-cut from 18GA steel, far heavier than the original 20GA, which might actually help with quieting the massive transformer's hum. I then had them powder coated with matte-black textured finish. They are very attractive and fit perfectly with all chassis holes in the correct place and 1/4" turn-up at the front panel edge. The bottom panels have 2 sets of holes to accommodate the relay bracket which apparently had 2 potential mounting positions. I had sent a couple sets to Glen for test fitting ... he confirmed these fit perfectly and look great! There is a comparison pic between the original bottom panel and the new one - I added more vents on the bottom as well as the top, compared to the originals.

I'll be selling the remaining tops&bottoms at $110 per set, plus $25-27 for USPS Large Flat Rate Shipping. Pics attached for reference.
Al

Attachments

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Glen, what kind of input/speaker connectors are you using on that little amplifier?
Mark if I get this right I use Switchcraft Type 3501FRX RCA Panel Mount on my amps. Gold plated versions of the same on clients. The outputs are 30 amp binding posts HH smith I think

the cable ends I think are Amx

Last edited:

mlucitt

I think Switchcraft 3501FRX are the OEM RCA jacks that Phase Linear used. I have not been able to find that connector in a gold plated version. That is the reason I went to Manley Labs for my RCA jacks. They fit the Phase Linear mounting hole because the threaded portion is .375" and the shouldered washers are perfectly sized for a .500" hole. Plus, they have the nut on the outside, just like the Switchcraft jacks. The insulation inside the jacks is real nylon and it will not melt like the Chinese jacks do.
Here is a link: https://tubesrule.com/products/manley-rca-connectors-au-plated
And the price is right at $7.00 per pair.

And, which cable connectors are you using, they look sweet!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I think Switchcraft 3501FRX are the OEM RCA jacks that Phase Linear used. I have not been able to find that connector in a gold plated version. That is the reason I went to Manley Labs for my RCA jacks. They fit the Phase Linear mounting hole because the threaded portion is .375" and the shouldered washers are perfectly sized for a .500" hole. Plus, they have the nut on the outside, just like the Switchcraft jacks. The insulation inside the jacks is real nylon and it will not melt like the Chinese jacks do.
Here is a link: https://tubesrule.com/products/manley-rca-connectors-au-plated
And the price is right at $7.00 per pair.

And, which cable connectors are you using, they look sweet!
Mark the Gold switchcraft plug is BPJR02AUX and BPJR03AUX. About $3.50 each

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Been putting a few hours here and there on the D500 build ... figured I would update the forum with some pictures. I hope to start some power testing on the frame - need to reform the big capacitors and finish updating the display/control panel. New caps installed, have new diodes to put in ... might as well.

Attachments