phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
just go an email from the freight forwarder, box correos....seems the ministry of finance of costa rica computers were hacked and are now off line...
and they warned of delays on imports .....i think the majority of my parts have already been paid and are very very near...i hope anyway....
wonderful news....
a few years back the computers at trans express...the shipping side of box correos in the us were hacked....they have since changed contractors in the u.s. ....this killed everything coming in for a few weeks...
both cases were ransomware from what i understand...of course, they rebuilt from scratch....and paid nothing...
welcome to costa rica...
where the good times never end....
lol

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
are the fully complimentary output chips bolted to the heatsink on the chassis in the wopl upgrade ???
and plug into the updated backplane??
Hello Gene
They are transistors, not chips. They look and mount identically to how they look on your amp right now except the part number marking is different.

The backplane boards have sockets in them which replace the existing point to point wiring that currently exists in your amp.

gene french

Tagline
Lookin good Gene!!
If you are going to keep the 400C and recap it, replace C8 with a 470uf, 25 volt electro cap. That will improve the bass rolloff point. Also read this..
https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/thr...-up-tendency-in-phase-linear-amplifiers.2307/

In your case, C6 that they arer referring to on the Pl14 board is C8 on yours...
ok...was just looking for this...i am about ready to do this mod...i dont understand what latch up is???
but, i trust you know ... when you posted this...i told one of my recap sellers to toss in a 470uf cap...but, forgot i needed two...
this will also replace the one i reversed....and dont trust any more....and i got another 470uf cap with the pl200 recap kit...
should be here very soon....i need to go back and find which diodes you said to put back to back but reverse one...
got a pretty short memory....
please explain latch up...when/if you have time....
thanks!!!!

gene french

Tagline
He's getting some 96's..
really trying hard find another 400 to gut...made offers on a few....lots of 4 fins on ebay...
too expensive....of course at any time i can upgrade mine.....i think extra cooling can be easily accomplished....
but, if the 95/96s run cooler....why bother....a 4 fin would cool effectively....or get one of those fans recommended by sniff...
i really would like to have both....
i have time....i would like to compare....and do some graphs...
just having a good time...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
ok...was just looking for this...i am about ready to do this mod...i dont understand what latch up is???
but, i trust you know ... when you posted this...i told one of my recap sellers to toss in a 470uf cap...but, forgot i needed two...
this will also replace the one i reversed....and dont trust any more....and i got another 470uf cap with the pl200 recap kit...
should be here very soon....i need to go back and find which diodes you said to put back to back but reverse one...
got a pretty short memory....
please explain latch up...when/if you have time....
thanks!!!!
Hello Gene
It is when you walk into a room on a mission to do something and then once you get there, you forget what your mission was...

That is latch up :)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
really trying hard find another 400 to gut...made offers on a few....lots of 4 fins on ebay...
too expensive....of course at any time i can upgrade mine.....i think extra cooling can be easily accomplished....
but, if the 95/96s run cooler....why bother....a 4 fin would cool effectively....or get one of those fans recommended by sniff...
i really would like to have both....
i have time....i would like to compare....and do some graphs...
just having a good time...
95/96s run just as hot as the originals Gene. Watts is watts...no cheating physics.