Sansui SC 5300

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
TDK SA “super avilyn “ however you spell it.

Type-II tape. Many deck makers used it for base bias for type-II.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I don’t have any sealed 79-80 vintage. Probably ten years newer.

60-90-100 minute. No full boxes of ten, sorry. Sealed singles however.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
There are lots of good NOS tapes around. Your SC-5300 does not have manual or automatic calibration or, even, a bias fine tune for adjusting to different models of tapes, outside of those available when your deck was built.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It’s going to need to be calibrated anyway, so internal bias can be set to the tape of your choice(s).

Probably needs a full mechanical if the belts are bad. Then tape path and head alignment should be checked (probably fine) and finally take speed and biasing.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It’s going to need to be calibrated anyway, so internal bias can be set to the tape of your choice(s).

Probably needs a full mechanical if the belts are bad. Then tape path and head alignment should be checked (probably fine) and finally take speed and biasing.
Belt kit is on the way, maybe I should find a local guy to cal this thing. Although I have plenty of test equipment, I may be able to deal with it. I'll peruse the Service Manual and see how big of a job it is. I'd like to be able to use something a bit newer than 40 year old tape.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
You may be surprised to learn that 40 year old tape is working better than the newly manufactured stuff.

Unless you are using type-I tape, at high speed (open reel deck), you have very few options, and none are inexpensive.

Check out this listing (mine), if you are interested, let me know and I can obviously do better on the price avoiding the eBay extortion... I have these tapes here at work and they could go out today theoretically. I'll also throw in some D60's to mess around with (also sealed).

1990 TDK SA 90 or SA 100 High Position Type II Cassette Tape (1) NEW / Sealed | eBay

Elite-ist

Staff member
The only half-decent new tape out there is Splicit Capture and RTM FOX. Both are Type I tapes and in C-60 lengths. I just completed recording on two 40-year-old tapes this past week.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Nando: have you recorded with those new tapes yet? I've not heard ANYTHING compelling enough to make me want to use them.

I bet the base tape is fine for an open reel deck at high speed, but cassette is much more demanding, as you well know.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Nope - just the testimonials from members I know on the TH forum.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Best.
Lunchbox.
Ever.

You can check with Scott Grammer:
scott w grammer at hotmail dot com

(no spaces)

He did my TC-D5M up including a recap and was fast and reasonable price. Bob suggested him- he's in TN.