Dual-500 king of the Castle

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Guess what? I was feeling so bad for dragging the reader(s) through my personal power saga from the mid 1990s, I had the idea to test a couple of outlets picked at random *this evening* just to show you what you can find in a 'newish' (11 year old) place I am currently leasing.

My test equipment? 1) An 1875-watt Conair hair dryer, and 2) My RCA Line Meter. I compared 2 different outlets in the kitchen, picked at random, and tested each one, voltage with no load, followed immediately by a voltage check at "1875 watts".

Good outlet, no load:
View attachment 59881
118v AC indicated

Good outlet, 1875 watt load:
View attachment 59882
116v AC indicated

Suspect outlet, no load:
View attachment 59883
117.5v AC indicated

Suspect outlet, 1875 watt load:
View attachment 59884
113v AC indicated

So there you have it. Using the same meter & blow dryer, the only variable are the outlets themselves, and they are installed within 10' of each other in the same kitchen.

The good outlet only dropped 2 volts when loaded, whereas the suspect outlet dropped over twice as much!

NOTE1: For what it's worth, no lights dimmed anywhere in the abode during this testing...

NOTE2: As a point of reference, I just looked at one of the D500s, and the sticker says that it pulls a maximum of "1500 watts". NOTE: This must be a steady-state at rated power, because I know they can pull pretty hard during a big transient.

The above is simply food for thought. If I was the owner of this joint (instead of just leasing) I would spend the ~$3 for a commercial grade outlet, swap out the suspect one, and retest. I do know that the suspect outlet is in heavy rotation, whereas the other one is never used...and it also has a firmer mechanical grip on the plug when it is time to insert or remove.

Cheers --
I always do such test at work (HVAC maintenance), especially when a breaker trips without reason.

By the way nice horns.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
This a got to be hand done 2hours in on first one
I am getting there I will get a good as I can then spray epoxy sealer then a few coats of high build sanding filler View attachment 60087
Sanding by hand is not one of my favorite things and the times I've needed to do it, surfaces were two dimensions - flat. I congratulate you an your patience.

Your fingers are the sanding block?

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Sanding by hand is not one of my favorite things and the times I've needed to do it, surfaces were two dimensions - flat. I congratulate you an your patience.

Your fingers are the sanding block?
Well I have filed the high spots the hand sand and have use some old capacitors to rap sand paper on to keep things aligned

first one is done for now image.jpg