Dual-500 king of the Castle

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Spence, audition a set first, even if you can find a decent pair of K's, it's gonna take another 3000 to upograde to what Glen is talking about...the stock Klipsch woofer is the one they got right, in fact the Crites 1526 C is a copy of that. The mids and tweets is where the improvement comes from. The stock 1" drivers in the fiberglass or plastic mid horns are really an embarrassment to Klipsch I believe. 2" drivers and wood horns really makes a vast improvement. Not near as squawky...or whatever term best describes that objectionable horn quality. Lot of good tweets out there too. And then there is the crossover, I'm running Al Klappenberger's EXTREEEEEEme slope crosses. They ain't cheap either, 1600.00 a pair.,.It takes a lot of money to get horns right.....but when ya do, it's worth every penny
I think remember stumbling across one of your post about the crossovers, 24db per octave were they?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
My opinion is that horns (generalization as I've not heard every horn made) sound best with tube outputs, due to their low power and roll-off. I really think they match well. It makes me wonder if the old horns were "tuned" to compliment the tube amps of the era. That would certainly make sense.

But, a powerful, clean, solid state amp and horns sounds over-bright and too "live" for me.

I auditioned a pair of Klipsch speakers ~25 years ago (floor standers- not sure of the model) and on "live" recordings, as in, live concerts that were recorded, they were awesome. Loved them. It was like being a member of the audience.

When I put in a studio recording, they really sounded too bright to me. Like over-emphasized in the midrange in particular. I really didn't care for them that way. Most of my records and CDs are studio recordings.

This test was "in-store" (Tweeter, Etc.) with their equipment and Copies of CDs they had on hand, that I was familiar with. I think the live one was SRV and the studio one was the Police. I was A-B ing them with a pair of Polk speakers (don't remember that model either, but floorstanding in a similar price bracket) and I preferred the Polks. I purchased neither.

I also auditioned (at a nicer stereo shop) a pair of electrostatics, and, in the sweet spot they were absolutely amazing. But, I need to wear a HANS device so my head does not move, because a small change in head position made a huge impact on the sound. Those don't fit my needs either. I think this was the same shop that sold Snell, and where I heard the C4s, in another listening room...

For me, dynamic speakers with a first-order crossover sound best. I had Vandersteen model 1's for several years which I eventually replaced with the Thiel 2.2s I have now. (wish I could listen to them!)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My opinion is that horns (generalization as I've not heard every horn made) sound best with tube outputs, due to their low power and roll-off. I really think they match well. It makes me wonder if the old horns were "tuned" to compliment the tube amps of the era. That would certainly make sense.

But, a powerful, clean, solid state amp and horns sounds over-bright and too "live" for me.

I auditioned a pair of Klipsch speakers ~25 years ago (floor standers- not sure of the model) and on "live" recordings, as in, live concerts that were recorded, they were awesome. Loved them. It was like being a member of the audience.

When I put in a studio recording, they really sounded too bright to me. Like over-emphasized in the midrange in particular. I really didn't care for them that way. Most of my records and CDs are studio recordings.

This test was "in-store" (Tweeter, Etc.) with their equipment and Copies of CDs they had on hand, that I was familiar with. I think the live one was SRV and the studio one was the Police. I was A-B ing them with a pair of Polk speakers (don't remember that model either, but floorstanding in a similar price bracket) and I preferred the Polks. I purchased neither.

I also auditioned (at a nicer stereo shop) a pair of electrostatics, and, in the sweet spot they were absolutely amazing. But, I need to wear a HANS device so my head does not move, because a small change in head position made a huge impact on the sound. Those don't fit my needs either. I think this was the same shop that sold Snell, and where I heard the C4s, in another listening room...

For me, dynamic speakers with a first-order crossover sound best. I had Vandersteen model 1's for several years which I eventually replaced with the Thiel 2.2s I have now. (wish I could listen to them!)
Jim, the Al K crosses have different taps on the transformer to attenuate the mid horn, because they can and do sound bright depending on source material...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Absolutely, but the roll off is more precise and direct on the auto transformer.....

And really, the ability to attentuate the mids was for compensating for the differences in driver efficiency. A lot of options in the mid horn area and Al had a pretty good plan to deal with it...

A guy could always tri-amp though...

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Looks like you have a shortage of warm weather workspace...
To fu!$&@ing cold in the shop
This has gone ok Lee Sanding and paint will be the big job that’s going to the shop

two down one more to assemble in the AM

keep in mind this part is a piece of cake sanding an finishing going to take a lot of time as Lee can agree to I’m sure F3E21153-EF4E-4C5E-BF8C-B76CD263896C.jpeg 0165932C-D20C-4B88-B56F-56B05288AE5B.jpeg