New to PL!

rollcentre

New Around These Parts
I may be an addict. I drove a few towns over and picked up these today. A Dynaco ST400 and another PL400.

The PL seems to be a pretty early one. I'll have to start a post about it. It looks quite a bit different inside, and the VU meters are completely different.

Unfortunately it is missing the top cover!
Also missing a fuse holder cap (and fuse)
Somebody was in the middle of working on it, and set it aside and never finished. There was a bag of new film caps stuffed inside of it. The date code on the film caps is '79 and '80. Looks like bypass caps to me. The project had probably gone unfinished for a few decades. Let's fix that.

PXL_20210330_172214710.jpg

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I could never own a Dynaco ST400 - with that face looking at me all the time, no thanks. No wonder the PL400 was more popular.

Looks like you have an appropriate vehicle to haul your amps around...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The bigger the pencil, the better and easier you will have it. I run 2 80 watt Wellers and when you go to build the WOPL back plane boards, it will go smoother. Also switch to 63/37 solder. Just my penny's worth

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
even with the dc protection installed, you still risk your house with the shoddy construction of the original PL stuff. Gut them and listen to your transistor radio until the WOPL's are finished. You may save your speakers but if the house is smoldering around them, what's it matter. Cheaping out aint the way to go. (there, that's 2 pennies).

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I had an amp I bought for WOPL'ing purposes which had a bulk cap completely decapitated (pun intended), and had melted the left meter, and actually started the plastic on fire. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them without a gut job. I'll pull the "Patty Melt" and post you a pic

rollcentre

New Around These Parts
I could never own a Dynaco ST400 - with that face looking at me all the time, no thanks. No wonder the PL400 was more popular.

Looks like you have an appropriate vehicle to haul your amps around...
It does look like a giant robot head doesn't it. :D

rollcentre

New Around These Parts
even with the dc protection installed, you still risk your house with the shoddy construction of the original PL stuff. Gut them and listen to your transistor radio until the WOPL's are finished. You may save your speakers but if the house is smoldering around them, what's it matter. Cheaping out aint the way to go. (there, that's 2 pennies).
Oh I know I've got my work cut out for me!
Is the old 4 fin model worth going all the way on? Full comp backplane and the works?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Had a 4 fin from my college days that I wanted to convert to 8 fin. Some years back I found an 8 fin heatsink on ebay that was parted out. Unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to keep you eyes open.
It’s scrap aluminum and 5 mins on the shear and press break to make them... anodizing is cheap. Call local shops if you can’t do it yourself.