Phase linear 4000 problem

v65magna

Journeyman
Hi I wondering where this plug goes on the phase linear 4000 , I bought this 4000 off this guy on Kijiji and he said it was fully functional wow did I get scammed I’m not a happy camper right now , no response from him yet , I hooked it up nothing it powers up but that’s about it there’s this plug coming from that 4 way balance toggle switch just hanging there is this plug supposed to here and if so would any one know where it goes I don’t see any socket any where , any help would be appreciated ,, thank you

Attachments

v65magna

Journeyman
if that's the Joystick model, send it back. They are junk
Yep joy stick , I’m sending it back thanks for the advice ,, bought this off Kijiji buddy’s not returning my emails looks like I’m stuck wit a boat anchor, , sure wouldl like to know where that plug goes , since now that I’m stuck with it , live and learn I guess

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
DO NOT PLUG/UNPLUG anything without supporting the bottom of that motherboard. You'll figure out quick why some of us think it's a turd. I'd turn it over on ebay as a "Parts" unit if the douchebag won't take it back. If the price is too good to be true.................

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I put a BUNCH of hours into one of them and had it working perfectly.... For a couple hours, then the next time I fired it up, a channel was intermittent. The 1000 cold joints, like Don said, and then the crappy connectors on each board made it a terrible and unreliable unit. Always shoot for the Series II's at the very least. One quick gander at the service manual will explain a lot. Check out the manual on HiFiEngine...... Carver C-1 is a cheap and VERY upgradable unit and will last your life.

v65magna

Journeyman
I put a BUNCH of hours into one of them and had it working perfectly.... For a couple hours, then the next time I fired it up, a channel was intermittent. The 1000 cold joints, like Don said, and then the crappy connectors on each board made it a terrible and unreliable unit. Always shoot for the Series II's at the very least. One quick gander at the service manual will explain a lot. Check out the manual on HiFiEngine...... Carver C-1 is a cheap and VERY upgradable unit and will last your life.

v65magna

Journeyman
Thanks for the info , only reason I bought it was I got the 700b thought I get the mate for it , I guess I should of did more research on the 4000 i apreciate all your replies thanks , I guess I’ll just take my losses and sell it on eBay for parts , I’m still curious where that plug goes though , take care my friend

v65magna

Journeyman
Thanks for the info , only reason I bought it was I got the 700b thought I get the mate for it , I guess I should of did more research on the 4000 i apreciate all your replies thanks , I guess I’ll just take my losses and sell it on eBay parts, I’m

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Many of us builders have already done this and with a bit of reading, the average member here can save themselves a shit-load of time and money by using some of that knowledge that is WELL documented here in these pages. Yeah, the PL unit LOOKS cool, but so did the Delorean.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ya gots to be careful with some of this early PL gear. Some of it wasn't worth the aluminum it was made of. COOL? maybe, maybe not

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
1) the connector is for joystick
2) mother board and front panel board look O.K.
They are the second version ( look at the thickness vs the other boards )
3) check S/N of the unit : if below 3000 you must replace all caps
( 50 V instead 35 V )
4) you must replace all RCA connectors with a type like this
https://it.farnell.com/pro-signal/j...C-01-Mar-2021_Medium-Desktop&gross_price=true
The original ones are too fragile after 45 years .
I restored two units and one PL 1000 helped by my hifi guru ( a friend )
In other words you have to fix design issues that come out after 30 / 40 years .
Ciao
Marco

George S.

Ya gots to be careful with some of this early PL gear. Some of it wasn't worth the aluminum it was made of. COOL? maybe, maybe not
The 2000 is also a turd. Just not a steaming pile. Say "Boo" and the traces jump right off the cheap board. I have a Marantz preamp from the same era, better boards, better potentiometers and switches. And if you really want to be blown away, look inside Hewlett Packard gear from that era, heavy copper traces with gold plating. PL could have done better.

v65magna

Journeyman
( 50 V instead 35 V )
https://it.farnell.com/pro-signal/j...C-01-Mar-2021_Medium-Desktop&gross_price=true
In other words you have to fix design issues that come out after 30 / 40 years .
Ciao
Marco
Thanks Marco for the reply I appreciated the help , I’m still curious as where this plug olugs
( 50 V instead 35 V )
Ciao
Marco
thanks Marco for the reply ,, I appreciate your help anyways I’m still curious as where this plug plugs into I don’t see any socket anywhere where it can plug into , it is coming off that joystick but just hanging there ,, would u know where this plug goes , thanks Peter,, it is a 6 pin plug with 5 wires in it one socket empty F26655F7-4316-445D-B267-2A75DEF7F419.jpeg F26655F7-4316-445D-B267-2A75DEF7F419.jpeg

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
There's a male plug at the base of the front board between it and the faceplate. Off centre to the right.
Look down and you should see it.
I think you just have to pull that board straight up, and all should be revealed.
It loops back over the board towards the front of the preamp and goes down.
Hope I'm right.

Steve K

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I don’t have a picture but I think that plugs into a socket on the front of the that board you see. The board directly behind the front panel.