DChristie's PL 2000

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
An attempt to minimizing popping when attaching your interconnect cables would be a guess.

I would have put them all the way to the right in the schematic, not where they are now. In other words, on the negative side of C49 and C50

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The power suppl filtering caps are 1,000 uf, factory calls for 470, is that where I'm picking up the additional voltage? I also have 16 volts AC on the secondaries...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Lee, I've had good luck with the +/- 12VDC or the +/- 15vdc power supply modules I had built up for the Carver/PL Preamps. Maybe something you want to try. I haven't looked at the Power supply for the unit you are working on. It's got the built in regulators on the boards I built with heat sinks.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I noticed that some of the older units had Service Bulletins changing the transformers to 12 volt and changing some opamps and mods to the power supply to work with the new transformers so check all the Service manuals for the unit to see if anything has been done like that. I just had a Pre in that had SOME of the mods done, and some NOT done.

mlucitt

Lee, the voltages you measured were with no load (no IC's). I would try a quick voltage measurement with the IC's installed to load the power supply a little bit. The voltage will probably come down a bit.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee, I've had good luck with the +/- 12VDC or the +/- 15vdc power supply modules I had built up for the Carver/PL Preamps. Maybe something you want to try. I haven't looked at the Power supply for the unit you are working on. It's got the built in regulators on the boards I built with heat sinks.
Thanks Perry..we'll see how it goes here...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee, the voltages you measured were with no load (no IC's). I would try a quick voltage measurement with the IC's installed to load the power supply a little bit. The voltage will probably come down a bit.
Yeah, I figured it would too, getting the unloaded voltage to less than 18 was a must..

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe I ran the 100 ohmers in series with the 12 volt windings , not the center tap..
The center tap is just the easiest Lee, either works. When you put them in the 12V legs, you have to double the value (200) to get the result I was looking for in the center tap with 100.