3 WOPL's in the pipeline (+1)

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Add a set of White Oak Audio Design Display Boards, and rework the switch plate with new switches, it's ready for another 40 years.

jeffh.jpg

mlucitt

They get disassembled, inspected and cleaned/re-lubed if they pass inspection
For the re-lube do you use a heavy grease to give that damped feel? What lube do you use?
I think these were CTS pots and the older ones were made better than the ones made today. So I agree it is worth the time to inspect, clean, and re-lube them. I have a box full of them. Maybe I should check them out.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
For the re-lube do you use a heavy grease to give that damped feel? What lube do you use?
I think these were CTS pots and the older ones were made better than the ones made today. So I agree it is worth the time to inspect, clean, and re-lube them. I have a box full of them. Maybe I should check them out.
molybdenum reinforced bearing grease :)

mlucitt

molybdenum reinforced bearing grease :)
I have a couple of small tubes I filled from a 5 gallon pail of "Extreme Pressure Grease" Mil-G-83261, we called it 'Jet Black' in the Navy. Sniff probably remembers it. If I open a tube here in FL, some of it will eventually get on the wall of the house in Sterling, MA.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have a couple of small tubes I filled from a 5 gallon pail of "Extreme Pressure Grease" Mil-G-83261, we called it 'Jet Black' in the Navy. Sniff probably remembers it. If I open a tube here in FL, some of it will eventually get on the wall of the house in Sterling, MA.
Yep, nasty stuff

mlucitt

I have also had excellent luck with these

I put a set in Brent's amp in January and he uses it every day with no issues.
Thanks for the photo.
I have used those pots, Mouser P/N 652-PDA241HRT02104A2 except with the last two digits being "B0" instead of "A2" for a Linear Taper pot. instead of an Audio Taper pot. I have never found a parts list for the PL700B, but the PL400 II and PL700 II parts lists show a 100K Linear Taper pot.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks for the photo.
I have used those pots, Mouser P/N 652-PDA241HRT02104A2 except with the last two digits being "B0" instead of "A2" for a Linear Taper pot. instead of an Audio Taper pot. I have never found a parts list for the PL700B, but the PL400 II and PL700 II parts lists show a 100K Linear Taper pot.
yup, used em both. 500WPC RMS is the outcome of both.... Loud as fuck

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
700B Series II QWAZY WOPL rocking out.
OK, been putzing with the hybrid WOPL. Still gotta work on the lighting below the meters but IT LIVES..... Has any knucklehead done Red White and Blue lighting????

The picture doesn't do it justice. The cameras still don't like LED's

View attachment 45047

More accomplished.

mlucitt

Sniff, have you ever had to replace the little plastic Power and Display pushbutton covers? Is there a source for those? I ask because the Clair Bros Audio amps have very corroded and pitted surfaces on the pushbutton covers.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sniff, have you ever had to replace the little plastic Power and Display pushbutton covers? Is there a source for those? I ask because the Clair Bros Audio amps have very corroded and pitted surfaces on the pushbutton covers.

Sand and paint them. Never found a source besides dead units that went to the dumpster after being robbed.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I've scored a pile of buttons, handles, knobs and other goodies for cheap. Some units were sent to me for free of for labor trade.