EPI fans

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Looking them over, new spiders, rubber surrounds, dust covers...... all 4 look great. Just need to trim the holes I'll be using to secure them into the boxes. Now, to get them installed and tested with the WOPL.

woof2.jpg woof1.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I definitely prefer using the better, more expensive Butyl Rubber Surrounds. They will last much longer than the foamy ones.

mlucitt

I was scoping out some JBL L100's and then I saw they only handle 50 Watts?????? SCREW THAT.
From my L100 owners manual it says the recommended amplifier is 150wpc continuous. JBL was very conservative back in the day. The 50W was likely a reference to a 50W RMS continuous test tone at 1KHz (hard on the midrange which kicks in at 500Hz). With the excellent JBL crossovers, I doubt you can damage a L100 with anything less than 250W peak musical power, and by then your ears would be bleeding. This is assuming a quality amp like a Phase Linear, if the amp is clipping, the speakers should be de-rated to a power level below the clipping threshold.
Having said that, the L100 is a high-quality listening room speaker, not a PA speaker. The L100 is a sensitive speaker at 90db/W/m and excels at sophisticated, critical-listening sound levels. However, from a recent test:
"Timing, that ability to deliver the interplay of instruments with confidence, is good enough for the L100s to convey the changing momentum of the music well. If you want punch and purpose these speakers are definitely for you. Surprisingly, they remain engaging at lower volume levels where alternatives start to sound lifeless, so late night listening remains firmly on the menu. Then we play Massive Attack’s Heligoland and the JBL’s sonic presentation works well. They are in their element, throwing out a wall of sound that impresses with its scale, drive and energy. They’re composed, even at high levels, and have a huge amount of headroom with dynamics."
-- https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/jbl-l100-classic

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm thinking a pair of Klipsch Heresy's is what's needed. I've built several sets over the years and they can be upgraded easily. Now I just need to find a set priced right.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
L100 crossovers are not identical. I had to look into them recently.

The crossovers I was asked to repair were really basic. Just a 3uF capacitor and a 6uF plus a couple of L-pads. The woofer runs as a full range. I think the speaker model was designated L100-A.

mlucitt

L100 crossovers are not identical. I had to look into them recently.

The crossovers I was asked to repair were really basic. Just a 3uF capacitor and a 6uF plus a couple of L-pads. The woofer runs as a full range. I think the speaker model was designated L100-A.
Yes, your are correct, the early L100 crossovers were well-designed and gave the speakers their initial popularity. Later, the cost-cutting arm of Harmon attacked the JBL speakers and the result was a L100 crossover that sounded good when the the volume was loud but sort of muddy when the volume was lowered. So buy the vintage L100 with the N112 (I think) crossovers. See what I mean:
Early L100 Crossover .............Later L100 Crossover
JBL L100 Early Crossovers.jpg JBL L100 Later Crossover.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Temporarily installed my woofer to give the Epicure 20+'s a shakedown before I tear them apart for a face lift. Don't know when I'll get a chance to do that but I'm in no hurry. They are in great shape if you overlook the dust and the Ferro-Fluid on the tweeters. I have several sets of them to make the speakers look better.

Attachments