Jolly Green Giant 700B in work

Opinions

• Total voters

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah, photographing with digital photography makes color intensity tough to get right Perry. What looks one way to your eye looks different to the camera

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
A polarizing filter may help tone down the intense light. If you don’t already have one you may not be inclined to purchase one but they are very useful to every photographer.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
A polarizing filter may help tone down the intense light. If you don’t already have one you may not be inclined to purchase one but they are very useful to every photographer.

I'm trying to find Red, Blue and Green filters right now. UV filters (polarizing), I don't think that's going to help me.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
UV filter is not the same as a circular polarizer. You can rotate the polarizer to, for example, take the glare off water or a window so you can see in/under. It can reduce the intense light specifically and help.

UV filters only filter UV. They can help with haze outside and also protect the primary but not much else.

Color filters will effect the entire frame. Expect funky results doing that. I had/have a few that are one third/two thirds filters for sunsets n shit. They enhance the reds and oranges to make sunsets look better than they are.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
UV filter is not the same as a circular polarizer. You can rotate the polarizer to, for example, take the glare off water or a window so you can see in/under. It can reduce the intense light specifically and help.

UV filters only filter UV. They can help with haze outside and also protect the primary but not much else.

Color filters will effect the entire frame. Expect funky results doing that. I had/have a few that are one third/two thirds filters for sunsets n shit. They enhance the reds and oranges to make sunsets look better than they are.

I just bought a UV/CPL/FLD filter kit... We'll see if it works.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You shit!...when’d ya get that. The one piece I want to add, just don’t want to pay for it...almost pulled one for $100 but someone got to them first and told them what they had...

I been running this tuner for years. The 717 is cheap compared to the 919 and just as reliable.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Joe, I found the correct size GREEN LED's for the ADC Sound Shaper Three MKII. A couple of the red ones that are in it are kinda dim so I ordered green (and red just in case).

Juikster

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Since I finished the Roxanne III build, I got the hankering to build a 700B for myself. Every time I build a 700B, somebody buys it out from me and I'm out an amp. And it takes forever for an affordable one to show up. So I decided to make it ugly enough so nobody would buy it from me. It's just a mock-up since I'm waiting on White Oak boards, but you get the idea. I was working on it the other night and the wife came in to the shop and took one look at it and said, "OH HELL NO, that thing is hideous and is not going in to the living room". And then asked me what possessed me to do that to a 700B... I tried to explain it to her that I didn't want anybody trying to buy this amp from me. But chicks aren't that smart. She just couldn't understand. Nothing that can't be repaired... Friggin Lime Green Pearl.

View attachment 39642

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This is the shit that I just have to shake my head at. Dude want's me to build him a pre and an amp... He want's to pump $4000 into a 4000t Can you imagine changing out ALL THE RESISTORS?????? There is about 10 circuit boards full of resistors..... I threw up the Bullshit Flag...... Not that I couldn't do it, but I can't imagine having to deal with the customer....

I just purchased a Carver 4000t preamlifier.
Could you please help me out with the following mods?
I would wish to change all, critical signal path resistors with Amtrans AMRG Carbon Film of suitable wattage and resistance, the rest of the resistors, all remaining ones, may be the Amtrans AMRT & Amtrans AMRG AMRA ones.
For the polar capacitors I would prefer all low value Rubycon premium ones and high value/voltage may be from Mundorf. The critical non polar capacitors I would prefer Jupiter copper foil paper & wax capacitors the others non critical, non polar capacitors may be as per your advise as to tonality.
As to all switches & rotary controls, please advise in your opinion which would be the best option as to longevity & sound quality is concerned.
Also as to the IC's, please propose accordingly.
All in all I am looking for a complete overall, to bring this unit to current standards.
With the service manual for the Carver 4000t available on line, my ultimate dream would be to replace the transistors in the output stage with 6922 vacuum tubes as in the Carver C 19. Can that be achieved?
All help to achieve the above would be greatly appreciated.
Also just wondering if you have a fully modified 700 Series Two/B WOPL...the one with the LED's available for sale?
Thanks and best regards,
Junia.
P.S. Apart from rear amplifiers and a "Normal" and "Wide" switch at the rear are there any differences between the Carver 4000t & Carver 4000 pre-amplifiers? Can you please advise?