Can't Burn A CD that will play

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Nero's definitely the best if you don't have it built in. Good choice.

You want to do an audio CD.. redbook.. whatever. Like I said before however, don't skimp on the CDR's and get a well-known brand that offers the widest compatibility with older players.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
If the goal is to pop a disc into a machine (auto deck or otherwise...) that can play stand alone music files - like MP3's, wave files or any digital file format said machine can decode - then advising someone to "do" an audio CD is not proper advice. Lee wants to to host the highest quality music files he can burn to a data disc. That's NOT a red book, Audio CD endeavor.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
If the goal is to pop a disc into a machine (auto deck or otherwise...) that can play stand alone music files - like MP3's, wave files or any digital file format said machine can decode - then advising someone to "do" an audio CD is not proper advice. Lee wants to to host the highest quality music files he can burn to a data disc. That's NOT a red book, Audio CD endeavor.
He wants to be able to play it in the Oppo.. does that support other formats or not? If it doesn't then yes audio CD is the right answer.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Jer, I sure like what you did on the LaatschMusic drive. Shpongle and Steely Dan are exceptional SQ..

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Jer, I sure like what you did on the LaatschMusic drive. Shpongle and Steely Dan are exceptional SQ..
Oh yeah.. definitely. I can't recall which, but they either came from HD Tracks or I might have recorded them via Goldwave and the Xonar.

Sooo.. what can your oppo play as far as formats? Seems from reading here that is the least common denominator as far as what we should have you set your Nero to.. Nero's great software.. used to have it here til I went all Win 10.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
He wants to be able to play it in the Oppo.. does that support other formats or not? If it doesn't then yes audio CD is the right answer.
If you had read the whole thread you'd know Lee wants to play the discs in both the Ford Ranger & the Oppo.
As wave files ... ideally sourced from high quality FLAC files.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
If you had read the whole thread you'd know Lee wants to play the discs in both the Ford Ranger & the Oppo.
As wave files ... ideally sourced from high quality FLAC files.
No shit Tony. The Ford can play digital as well. BUT can the Oppo do that or is it restricted to just audio / SACD or not? If the oppo can play wav files direct, then fine and now it comes down to media selection, multi versus single session and all of that shit...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'll have to dig
Oh yeah.. definitely. I can't recall which, but they either came from HD Tracks or I might have recorded them via Goldwave and the Xonar.

Sooo.. what can your oppo play as far as formats? Seems from reading here that is the least common denominator as far as what we should have you set your Nero to.. Nero's great software.. used to have it here til I went all Win 10.
Jer, I'll have to dig out the manual. I have no idea.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
The Ford doesnt do straight digital. Well, it does play wav...
Wav.. mp3..flac.. etc etc - all of those formats imply that the actual reading of the CD data is akin to a "data" type of CD (or DVD.. just more MB's to store there), versus audio which conforms to the original "Compact Disc" for music all 44.1khz sampling rate and whatnot.

In summary and why I am asking, is that we need to know each player's capabilities, to choose the correct format that will support both. From there, you can decide whether or not to do a single CD burn that will work for both, or separate burns so that you are not limited to, again, the "least common denominator"

Hope this clears shit up around here lol..

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I think you guys should just dig up the CDs I made you and get into Andy Williams again.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Then it looks you went the route of converting your source files (FLAC I assume...) and Nero burned to red book.
You're not playing raw wave files.

Cool thing about Nero is that if you author a true Audio CD, you can use a mix of source files ... and Nero converts on the fly.
In other words, you can grab hi rez MP3's, FLAC, wave, wma - whatever- when you build the Audio CD layout and Nero just handles it.

Last edited: