Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My goal is to make the highest fidelity cd that will play in the wife's truck and my Oppo DV-983. So...whatever that takes.
One of my problems is I'm pretty ignorant on file transfer protocol between programs and/or drives...yeah something that basic, and my digital organizational skills suck in general.
The wife's truck and the Oppo play wav files. I thought that was the highest fidelity option that was compatible.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Another thing I noticed is that Jerry included a dedicated data drive when he built my computer. His digital music sounds better than the music on the Darcy drive. I dont know why. Was it better source? Some type of processing? DAC quality? Dont know, but Jers stuff is definately better SQ than Darcy's.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
OK, now we're getting somewhere.
So depending on the 'transport' - and by that I mean the playback hardware - you'll need to know what they support.

Dashboard decks are a strange beast depending on the vintage, so let's start with the Oppo first.
The Oppo will play a pretty much most file audio file formats AND a bunch of video ones too ... but I digress.
So at the end of the day, it comes down to the medium you want to host the wave files on.

Your Oppo is an older one, so I won't rule out some goofy thing going on ... but in a nutshell it supports ALL these disc formats:

DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL

With Nero, as one example, you can burn CDs, CD-Rs and DVD-R's as data discs. So think of a data disc as no different than a USB thumb drive or a hard drive.
It's just a partition that has files on it. You simply need to use Windows or Nero or whatever to get wave files on an optical disc so that both Jani's truck deck and your Oppo can play them. Nero lets you drag & drop files onto the target blank disc in your burner. Some versions of Nero will let you drag, convert and burn.
But to keep it simple, go get Audacity and install it on your machine. It's free. Then convert a handful of FLAC files to wave. All you have to do next is to the pop a blank CD into your Win 7 machine and make a data disc ... and then try that disc both in the truck and in the Oppo. Assuming your computer isn't jacked up, as soon as you pop a blank CD into the burner, Windows will let you copy files to it like it's just another file space...

Does the head in Jani's truck have a faceplate or dash located USB port? The Oppo has a USB 2.0 port.
What I'm getting at here is to take smaller steps to go through a process of elimination.
Use Audacity to convert some FLACs to wave. Then format a USB thumb drive to FAT32 and copy those few wave file songs to it, and try it on both playback devices.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Just because someone used FLAC as a format for audio files doesn't mean that they were converted right and/or making FLAC files out of shitty sources doesn't mean you get superior sound either. The old adage, "garbage in/garbage out" applies.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have no problem AT ALL of spending money on a program that will burn higher quality cd's. Whatever Nero version produces the highest quality cd is fine with me.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Just because someone used FLAC as a format for audio files doesn't mean that they were converted right and/or making FLAC files out of shitty sources doesn't mean you get superior sound either. The old adage, "garbage in/garbage out" applies.
Some of Darcy's sources was torrent files. Not familiar with that protocol , but with torrent files flying all over the world god knows how many times , could SQ be compromised?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
OK, now we're getting somewhere.
So depending on the 'transport' - and by that I mean the playback hardware - you'll need to know what they support.

Dashboard decks are a strange beast depending on the vintage, so let's start with the Oppo first.
The Oppo will play a pretty much most file audio file formats AND a bunch of video ones too ... but I digress.
So at the end of the day, it comes down to the medium you want to host the wave files on.

Your Oppo is an older one, so I won't rule out some goofy thing going on ... but in a nutshell it supports ALL these disc formats:

DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL

With Nero, as one example, you can burn CDs, CD-Rs and DVD-R's as data discs. So think of a data disc as no different than a USB thumb drive or a hard drive.
It's just a partition that has files on it. You simply need to use Windows or Nero or whatever to get wave files on an optical disc so that both Jani's truck deck and your Oppo can play them. Nero lets you drag & drop files onto the target blank disc in your burner. Some versions of Nero will let you drag, convert and burn.
But to keep it simple, go get Audacity and install it on your machine. It's free. Then convert a handful of FLAC files to wave. All you have to do next is to the pop a blank CD into your Win 7 machine and make a data disc ... and then try that disc both in the truck and in the Oppo. Assuming your computer isn't jacked up, as soon as you pop a blank CD into the burner, Windows will let you copy files to it like it's just another file space...

Does the head in Jani's truck have a faceplate or dash located USB port? The Oppo has a USB 2.0 port.
What I'm getting at here is to take smaller steps to go through a process of elimination.
Use Audacity to convert some FLACs to wave. Then format a USB thumb drive to FAT32 and copy those few wave file songs to it, and try it on both playback devices.
Janis truck is a 2002 Ford Ranger. Looks like a factory deck. No usb, no aux input even..

BlazeES

Tagline
---
If Darc simply converted torrent files to FLAC, there's no telling what the 'upstream' format was ... hell, they could have been crappy MP3 sources.

You can't squeeze gold out of a turd ... so simply converting to FLAC doesn't improve the sound ...

Torrents are compressed file sharing mechanisms for crooks. :mad:

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Lee,

If you have problems stop by as I have lots of programs to change formats and such.

Generally you burn WAV format files using disk at once option to a CD to play in 'standard CD' players. The disk at once option burns the entire music content at one time without turn the laser off.

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Robert, I have decided to buy the Nero 2019. It appears to be everything I need. Thanks though!@

stetter

Journeyman
Lee, sorry not being mean but google is your friend and to get an answer that you really want would take a lot of typing and still you would be better of using google.. Having gone through what you are trying to do a few years ago with FLAC files from concerts that some of the act sell I know you did the right thing by buying Nero Plat. The more you read you will find out about the frustrating world of digital format issues.

stetter

Journeyman
Tell that to the bear I shot in the ass, who someone feeds slop to, loves the smell of smoking ribs and is not afraid to serve himself from the smoker. 7 shot from the trusty 410.

stetter

Journeyman
In the younger bears it seams to work. In the past it seems to work for about 2 to 3 weeks, for the older bears. When they start getting too aggressive in food searching some one in area will end up with a freezer of really nice fat laden meat , taste like chicken.