Phase Linear 700 Series II Clair Bros Serial Numbers

Peter S

Journeyman
Hi Folks;
I just picked up 2 blown Clair Bros PL 700's. I have an early PL 700, (7&1/2") face plate and a 700B. Both of my new acquisitions are series II's but one is quasi and the other is full complimentary. I will check the S/N's now----and do the 'magnet test' on the chassis.

Attachments

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Good stuff! Thanks for posting it up. Welcome to Phoenix! It was only a couple weeks ago that another Canadian joined up & was going to buy 2 Clair Bros. amps. A PL4000 also? Lotta watts you gots! Heh..Heh

Peter S

Journeyman
Hi m;
I was so 'head-over-heals' with the amps, that I did not pay attention, The seller may have mentioned, but I just fired of an email.

S/N 7A 9458 is quasi, S/N 7A 11521 is full complimentary. The latter is in worse shape inside but I want to "WOPL" it and have it drive mids in my 84" self-designed line arrays. BTW, both have steel chassis and 1/4" inputs!

Attachments

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
You can't mention uber cool speakers like that without pictures.
You may as well do the whole system. We are going to pry it out of you anyhow.

Peter S

Journeyman
Hi Brad;
Thanks for your interest! I won't pass up an opportunity to show off my system. Here is my rack with 2 PL's. I actually had to replace the old PL 700 on the bottom with a modified Crest C-18. Is Crest a bad word in this forum?! View attachment 36038 View attachment 36038 View attachment 36038 I needed the 1000 wpc/ 8 ohm, to drive the RCF 18" LF's I more or less copied JBL cinema sub cabinets., the lower resonance is 19 Hz. The LF cabs are 172 lbs each, loaded ( I used 1" mdf).

Attachments

Last edited:

Peter S

Journeyman
Thanks for the welcome! Could anyone suggest the correct forum for the repair of the first amp, the quasi PL 700 II Clair Bros? The full complimentary hopefully can be "WOPL'ed", I see the section for that.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
A closer view of the subs. Pink Floyd needs to be 117 db at 20 feet!
Sounds good but I'm afraid all the neighbors here are more concerned that their pets are currently terrified of the illegal fireworks they've been setting off somewhere around here, including 'M-80s', my neighbor's golden retriever is having a panic attack and her mommy is trying hard to calm her down plus my cat Stripey was already bummed that Spot seems to have died but I can't find her, about 4 daze ago on my birthday and they were best buddies, I'm hoping my last cat comes back and has the dinner I was about to go out and serve when it all started.

Our police force is tiny and stretched as it is and they have many other calls in between trying to keep idiots from potentially killing themselves so I was out looking to spot them but my cordless can't make it but a house or so down the street.

Even Lee has gotten a visit from the Gillette police about his WOPL once. He has good reason not to want to get in the hair of the cops or sheriff's department there anyway, I know about that sheriff in question. He was lucky in Rock Springs.

PS I'm about certain something I was playing unattended on the CD changer took out what was left of my Pioneer AV receiver (neither A nor B make a peep now) and I think it was from fumbling with the black buttons on a black face and probably switching the amp class by mistake. GRRR.

Moving the speakers between A and B did nothing, and why would you put such a switch on the panel where it can accidentally be pressed with a signal present? I have some swear words I can't use here.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yes, I still have the Sansui 3300. If I can't fix this it's back to the impossible switchbox or using my Sanyo integrated as a pre. I've only used the center and stereo (2.1) speakers with the Pioneer, never as a 5.1 setup.

stetter

Journeyman
You will find there are very few bad words on this forum. Welcome to the forum, tell us a little about yourself in the introduction thread.

Last edited:

mlucitt

Just updated the serial number list. Greg is now current. I need to go through my papers and update this more. It's close though.
WOPL Smoker, here is another Clair Bros. addition to your list:
S/N 7A 12316, could be one of those you sold on eBay, because the others are in that S/N range.
I am rebuilding this one now.

mlucitt

Sniff,
I have two more Clair Bros Audio PL700 Amps to add to your list. They will both be getting the full WOPL treatment.
They are S/N 9469 (This one has "A.H." engraved on the side) and S/N 12078.

I think we are getting closer to converting every Clair Bros Audio amp to WOPL and that is quite an achievement. I wonder how many they had, all told?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sniff,
I have two more Clair Bros Audio PL700 Amps to add to your list. They will both be getting the full WOPL treatment.
They are S/N 9469 (This one has "A.H." engraved on the side) and S/N 12078.

I think we are getting closer to converting every Clair Bros Audio amp to WOPL and that is quite an achievement. I wonder how many they had, all told?
yes, the A.H is the name of Audio Honolulu which is where the 2 pallets of amps I bought came from. There were hundreds of Claires built. The question would be, How many are still alive.

The Wizard

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I have a Dual 500 that was the only 500 that Clair had acquired. I will post the serial number when I get back to Pa. You already listed my Clair 700 that I purchased from you.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have a Dual 500 that was the only 500 that Clair had acquired. I will post the serial number when I get back to Pa. You already listed my Clair 700 that I purchased from you.

These were the serial numbers for the Clairs I purchased that came from Audio Honolulu