Sutt's "Fugly One" WOPL Transformation

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
These amps kick ass regardless of whether or not you get a couple extra volts on the rails... My amp never see's wide open anyway (even if I could keep an amp for myself). :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Jer I thought somebody found the number for new 100K pots?? I have some new ones but they are smaller diameter where they fit in the face plate's. I guess with a piece of tubing I could make a small bushing so they don't wallow around in the hole.

By the way, your build is looking GREAT MAN.... Gotta love those WO chassis'

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Thank you, Sir. Yeah just about done.. need to wire up the control board, then we'll jump the switch temporarily and put some volts to her. Dang handles still up in NYC in customs, I guess.. Wonder which will arrive first - the group buy ones or the ones I got off the 'bay err.. about 2 weeks ago?

07-AlmostDone.jpg

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Where do I find the best quality crimp on ring/eye connectors? Like used on the big caps?
Parts Express looks like the same crap I get at discount auto parts.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Where do I find the best quality crimp on ring/eye connectors? Like used on the big caps?
Parts Express looks like the same crap I get at discount auto parts.
Hi Brad. The ones I have were found at Mouser,

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/571-33718

They are pretty heavy duty as I can stuff two 14 AWG's into one with a little bit of pre-spreading the crimp. They should have other gauges available for smaller wires I think.. look up the part series when you get there.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
She's HOT.. Bias dialed in at 380mV both channels. Offset about .3mV or so ..

08-PowerON.jpg

Rails... yeah she's a hotty.. come to think of it, the ones that had the solid core xformer leads seem to be that way.

09-Rails.jpg

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Anxious to see what she can do...but I'm sure I'll never run her to clipping or anywhere near it! I know she can do more than the 350 watts the original did tho.. How long til she will be ready to sing for you??

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well, listening now.. :) Sounds good. Ole lady went to bed tho, so gotta keep it on the down low. But yeah.. the "Pimpin' Ass Bass" test passed with flying colors. She got pretty warm there with that workout!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
105 !! Coolness, at what mains voltage at the receptacle Jer?? Mine is always at 122.3...

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
124 at the outlet here, Lee. Wonder what she'll do at clipping?

Man on that I need to get a real attenuator for the O'Scope - 5 volts/div doesn't cut it on a 700. Wonder if I should go with a 10:1 or a 2:1 ?

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Sounds about right. You know, while we're waiting for a switch and handles I'm thinking again about writing some software to interface via the ancient GPIB using that USB adapter. Something that will do a freq plot etc etc .. just thinking of what to measure and how to do it. The HP can do dB measurements so figure at a given medium power level, sweep the generator frequency and measure each point - and plot it to display.

Tomorrow LOL.. I'm bushed ..