PL 400 VU meter

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
GUYS! I GOT MY METER FIXED!!! ok sorry for yelling, I’ve been busy working and real busy with some machinery restoration (spending some time on smokstak). I bought a vintage generator from an old fellow in Maine a few days ago. We had been talking for a week or two making the deal and travel arrangements when I found out he was a retired jewler and radio repairman. I asked about the meter he said BRING IT ALONG! Anyways, he looked at it and said “I’ll mail it back to you”. Next day he emailed me it was repaired! He was able to repair, reattach, replace??? The clock spring. I’m now anxiously awaiting it in the mail!

darn, I never saw nakdoc’s post or I would have called!

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
GUYS! I GOT MY METER FIXED!!! ok sorry for yelling, I’ve been busy working and real busy with some machinery restoration (spending some time on smokstak). I bought a vintage generator from an old fellow in Maine a few days ago. We had been talking for a week or two making the deal and travel arrangements when I found out he was a retired jewler and radio repairman. I asked about the meter he said BRING IT ALONG! Anyways, he looked at it and said “I’ll mail it back to you”. Next day he emailed me it was repaired! He was able to repair, reattach, replace??? The clock spring. I’m now anxiously awaiting it in the mail!

Boy I sure would like to know who this guy is in Maine.
I have a box of (approx. 20) 400 and 700B meters that need repair.
How much does he charge for repairing a meter?

Ed in CT

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Boy I sure would like to know who this guy is in Maine.
I have a box of (approx. 20) 400 and 700B meters that need repair.
How much does he charge for repairing a meter?

Ed in CT
I will ask him is he would take on the job. He didn’t really charge me so I don’t know what he would charge, I had bought a generator from him and he said no charge for the meter... He is a retired jewler but seems to like to keep busy. He might be interested.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I asked him if he would be interested in fixing more, he said he’s retired and plans to stay that way! His is 84 years old so I don’t blame him! If your meters have burned hair springs they CAN be repaired. I would try watch makers and jewellers.

The Rebel

Journeyman
Tagline
---
GUYS! I GOT MY METER FIXED!!! ok sorry for yelling, I’ve been busy working and real busy with some machinery restoration (spending some time on smokstak). I bought a vintage generator from an old fellow in Maine a few days ago. We had been talking for a week or two making the deal and travel arrangements when I found out he was a retired jewler and radio repairman. I asked about the meter he said BRING IT ALONG! Anyways, he looked at it and said “I’ll mail it back to youâ€. Next day he emailed me it was repaired! He was able to repair, reattach, replace??? The clock spring. I’m now anxiously awaiting it in the mail!

So how did the meter turn out for you. Did it come in close to the original in calibration?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Rebel. he's on a ship at sea most of the time. Could be awhile before he answers...

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
meters use a fine flat wire coil spring, usually found on the meter's front side. Both ends of this spring are soldered in place, which allows the spring to conduct current. When a meter measures open, one of the solder points has failed. Resoldering needs to be done with a steady hand and a good iron so as not to overheat the spring. Calibration will be very close even if a tiny bit of spring has broken. All meters have a zero point adjustment. Typical meter repair is $25.