PL 400 VU meter

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
I pulled my PL apart as one VU meter stopped working a while back. It reads open while the other reads 59 ohm. Tabarnak. Nudies coming. I pulled the meter completely apart and found that where the wire coil leaves the stationary body and transitions to the swinging coil, it's open there. It's wound like a clock spring to allow the meter to sweep. If I carefully get my multi meter on the broken end, the meter sweeps and reads about 56 ohm.

Any thoughts on a repair?

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
If anyone has a meter that's smashed but the workings are good I could make two from one. This would probably be the best/only option as I can't see myself having a steady enough hand to fix this one!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Come on der b'ys! One of you scallywags got a busted up 400 series I in yer basement with a meter that's "very best"! Send that cunny where I'm too!

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Finding original meters for these amps is near impossible. Anybody ever find suitable replacements yet made by other manufacturers?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I could work with one run over by a truck, my meter case, face plate, everything is good. I just need a good coil. Even if the needle is bent/gone I can fix that, but my coil would take a damned jeweller to repair:sad7:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
If the coil is a standard size in all meters, I can hook you up with a VU one out of a cassette deck. I guess you would have to calibrate it though

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
If the coil is a standard size in all meters, I can hook you up with a VU one out of a cassette deck. I guess you would have to calibrate it though
Thanks, that may be an option but would require machining a bracket to hold a different coil and calibrating electrically. The PL coil (good one) specs 58 ohm. I could maybe adapt something but it would have to be matched for sweep range and impedance. It's possible, And my have to be attempted, I just thought someone would have a meter that was broken, or burned from the lights, otherwise junk, but had working guts. The amp works fine without, but it bothers me as I'm sure you can understand!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Any Pl meter I've come accross that doesn't work has had a bad coil. The other parts are easy to get, I have a lot of broken coil meters...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So I was able to get a fine probe into the guts if this meter and the coil tests good aside from the one clock spring like coil that goes between the stationary and moving elements. There is a solder pad on the swinging coil and one on the stationary end and the fine wire makes about three turns to allow the meter free movement. I spoke to a jeweller today and will be
dropping the meter off tomorrow. He seems to think he can repair it. The impedance tests good at about 60ohm so if he can replace it with a suitably flexible coil it should read damn close. I'm afraid of what he is going to give for an estimate though, probably replace it with 24k gold wire!

Got my fingers crossed b'ys!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I can repair PL meters with open coils at the spring. I have a wonderful microscope and a steady hand.
Ok your the man cuz the guy I took it too was on the fence and didn't want to attempt it. Can you pm me contact info?

Also, I will be out of touch for probably a couple weeks. I'm leaving today for the Canary Islands to sail a ship back to Canada.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Just made it back to cell range guys. Covered almost 3000Nm from Las Palmas Spain, Canary Islands to Port Cartier Quebec. Took about 9 days to cross the Atlantic. We're lightship in ballast so it was a greasy crossing, rolling like crazy in rough weather south of the Azores. Anything not tied down was flying around. Dresser drawers and water coolers smashing about. We made it without any major breakdowns. We were all new to this ship and it's systems and had never even run the main engine until we departed Spain, but she just kept truckin at 93rpm for the whole crossing. Gotta love these big Sulzer slow speeds, they're tanks. Generators are my responsibility, and they're trashed. B&W medium speeds on heavy fuel (HFO 380, this stuff is GAF -greasy as...) it's tar when cold, heated to 130c at the engine inlet. They're whipped and chewing through lube oil like a fat man on a donut. They're gonna need pistons and liners, basically complete overhaul. Turbos are NFG also, drinking oil from them too. Id hate to see the bill for the parts list I'm putting together but if the company can afford $126mil for the ship and ~$200k in fuel for the Atlantic crossing, they probably won't even flinch. That or they will cheap out until a con rod comes out the side!

Anyways, paging nakdoc! Haven't for any contact info to send you this meter!

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Is that a lifeboat on the back end there??
Yeah, she's a drop boat... Strap your ass in, it's a long ways down! The seats face aft and there's 5 point harnesses. Ever see Captain Phillips? Same life boat.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ah....does look familiar. How many does it hold?
36 person capacity which is enough for full crew complement. There are also four, 20 man covered inflatable rafts on the stern, which self release and inflate upon sinking and at least one more forward.