So, here I go. Phase Linear 400

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Check Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5 on the left channel. Check all associated diodes. The low voltages of the DC offset has me thinking it is in the class A section of the left channel. Check Bias transistors too....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sounds good, remember to let those big caps bleed off before ya go poking around in there....when in doubt, measure voltage on the PS caps...

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I am so scary i stand around with a big resistor in my hand just to make sure on those big filter caps. BTW, we found it. Problem was the bias transistor on the left. A leg broke underneath the insulator.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Afraid not. I still need to make an order to get the capacitors for the DC protect board and I am sure a few other things. I am just happy to find at least this one problem ! If you know where I should order them please let me know. I looked up a sub but I am pretty sure it does not come with a heat sink.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A 2N5088 will sub. You have to remove the p-strap from the 3403 and put it on the 5088. PM your address and I'll send ya some...

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
You guys are just short of building this for me are you not ? I will send my address it but I will still need make an order so......What do you think.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have some special " Navo Deluxe Model 2" bias strain relief brackets that will keep those wires from breaking again. Need a pic of the back wall showing the bias tranny's so I can send the right ones...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok, here they are. Two things, when you get them you will see the P-strap will not contact the chassis when bolted so you will have to sand the bottom of the bracket to get the P-strap to contact the chassis. It has to contact the chassis in order to do it's bias thang as the chassis heats up. I am sending 2 extra P-Straps and 4 2N5088's. You will have to spread the P-Strap and punch out the old 2N3403, then clean out the old epoxy with a small file and the install the 2N5088, squeeze it together with a 4-40 screw and nut , then mix up some 5 min epoxy and put a dab inside the P-Strap opposite the lead side. The 2N5088 has a different pin out than the 2N3403 so download the data sheet. When you add wire to the leads to make it long enough top get to the back of the board, use #24 wire. use really small heat shrink or the bundle won't fit through the "tunnel" in the bracket. At the small end of the bracket, it is indented to accept a small cable tie. That will keep the strain off the leads, and prevent breakage....

Attachments

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
OK, think I can see what you mean. I have everything to do what you said. Got bored last night and decided to try and temporarily fix that broken lead on the transistor. "Fix" it I did. It works but who know for how long. No, I did not try and fire the amp up all I did was the "fix" and put it all back together. I worked in Jewelry stores for a good long while so sometimes I try my hand at something like this. Fixed a OPT on my Fisher 500C once. It still runs fine. Thank you for helping me so much. I would like to be helpful as well so let me know when I can and if I can I will.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Regular first class....Monday or Tuesday I suppose...
Yes sir the package came in today. Have not had time to do anything but download the datasheets. I see what you mean about sanding down the plastic and the thin wire as well as the thin shrink wrap. I am sure I have what is needed to do this right here in the shop. Want to say that I cannot thank you and the other guys here enough. I will post back after I have done the work as you have instructed.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
GOD ! All things that can happen will happen. Pool trouble, - 26,000 gal. at this point and still cant find the leak. Car, just put a clutch PP. throw out, flywheel, Clutch Mc. Clutch Slave cyl with a new line...Gotta pull it all back out. Bought bad parts...So, Lord Jesus Hep Me! (as we say in the South). Anyway just checking in as I have not even had the time to read or post on site. Be back soon though..