OPPO UDP-203

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Anyone following this new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player from OPPO? I have been watching this with the full expectation that this player would come in with a price tag higher than the UDP-105D but to my amazement, it is coming in at less than half of that. Pretty awesome player from the specs.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Anyone following this new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player from OPPO? I have been watching this with the full expectation that this player would come in with a price tag higher than the UDP-105D but to my amazement, it is coming in at less than half of that. Pretty awesome player from the specs.
I'm watching the developments and will be following the user reviews myself. I have the rest of the required pieces of the puzzle to enjoy 4K and although my 103 Darbee does a fantastic job of up-scaling, I'll be hard to resist a 4K unit (once it's been out for a bit ...).

Oppo makes good sh!t

Last edited:

braxus

Journeyman
I've been watching it for a while now. I sold my Sony SACD player in anticipation of the new Oppo 4K players. I'm not sure if I'll be going with the 203 or 205. That said because of finances- it will be a while before I buy the new player. The 205 is said to be coming out in the next few months, 3 months after the 203.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've been watching it for a while now. I sold my Sony SACD player in anticipation of the new Oppo 4K players. I'm not sure if I'll be going with the 203 or 205. That said because of finances- it will be a while before I buy the new player. The 205 is said to be coming out in the next few months, 3 months after the 203.
Did your TC-KA7ES sell on the Canuck Market yet Scott?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'm still running two 1983 model Trinitrons.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I will most likely get the Oppo 203/5. I will be upgrading my home stereo system next year, when Geri and I complete the upstairs living room renovations. My present budget Sony 5.1 receiver has served me well for over ten years. I received it as a Christmas gift from the kids and because it was a gift I never thought to replace it with a higher-end system.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
You're in the same boat as me Nando. If you can wait, the 205 is the audiophile player version. I most likely will be getting that one for my system. It will be expensive, especially with the US exchange rate and duty taxes.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I can wait for the 205 model. The contractor, who will be doing the renovation, has discussed some audio options to be incorporated into the room. A neat product are speakers which are not visible and are set into the gyproc with a membrane and mud covering them. He has installed these speakers in a few multi-million dollar homes around our area.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
My main stereo, which I use for a majority of my listening and recording sessions with, is in our upstairs master bedroom. The living room area is reserved for my home entertainment system for watching movies and laserdiscs.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I used a 4K for a while...

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Get the 205!!!!! Got mine plumbed in 2-channel stereo to start (gonna grab a 4K TV for her this Christmas season)and started her off with a hybrid SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon. Did not expect this.....startling detail, huge sense of presence....have not owned a digital source that is this enthralling. Anything but "sterile" or "compromised". OK.....in goes Brothers in Arms hybrid SACD......comparing between a 180 gram half speed mastered version and it's digital counter part.....thru my humble setup.....no discernible difference at all. I just ordered a copy of Bat out of Hell in SACD format.......can't wait till that one gets here. DVD audio......you have to hear to fully appreciate.....straight CD's......anything you put in her comes out like it's being heralded by angels.

GET the 205!!!!!

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Oppo Exits The Market

I am unsure if this topic has been addressed already elswhere here, as I have been away for a while. But I recall having discussed the topic of my new OPPO BDP-105 with Joe at the time it came out. My recent notification from Sound & Vision Magazine telling me about Oppo’s descision to exit the consumer electronics market pains me deeply. A superior company in all respects I have come to admire, cashes out. I have recently been arguing with myself whether or not to replace my BDP-105 with the new UDP-205. But now that descision is becomming more crucial. They state that the high traffic equipment will continue to ramp down in production more slowly than the lower traffic equipment offerings they sell. I do not own a UHD TV yet. I bought into the last remaining Samsung Plasmas on the market before plasmas died out. And I think at that time the tv was around 3 grand. A few years later Im debating on buying THIS now because of Oppos exit but having nothing to really display it on. Which of course requires me replacing a 3yr old tv.

Thoughts on my prediciment OR just thoughts on OPPO’s descision to exit the market in general? Has anyone here heard this yet?

6D07B15E-B539-4F91-8D28-858D37C02BA0.jpg A5680758-9A54-4C86-BD8A-1F5080211815.jpg 16F2837A-D9E6-481D-BF84-0D0647A10A0A.jpg 16F2837A-D9E6-481D-BF84-0D0647A10A0A.jpg 47A453DD-7BA8-4D4F-A954-FBE6189AEF26.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Two questions , guys :
-1) Can you appreciate the difference between Full Hd and 4K Uhd ?
-2) Is 4K HDR an other standard ? Is there a sort of compatibility between UHD and HDR ?
Formula 1 is broacasted in HDR via satellite in Europe .
Ciao
Marco

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, I did hear about Oppo's decision to end manufacturing, but only two days ago. Too bad - I'm glad I bought the Oppo UDP-203 last year.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Just like the 3D television & disc market, middle ground high-end hardware is going the way of the dinosaur. It's a rapidly shrinking market and more & more people are simply streaming. If they want physical disc playback - they can go to Best Buy or Walmart and get their needs met at a fraction of the cost.

Oppo is and will continue to be a mobile phone company after this summer - excelling in China. They simply could not scale their high quality AV product R&D with the lack of material demand. Hell, they couldn't even get HDR10 turned on in a reasonable period of time now that 4K sets are ubiquitous. That was the first serious sign of trouble. If they can't license and/or develop that bit of tech - they aren't solvent.

Sad news to be sure. Oppo customer support has really been second-to-none. Case in point: The remote for our 103D was lost in the move. I was able to order a replacement from Oppo for a mere 12 bux.

My 103D is a work horse, transforming old DVD's into near perfection and masterfully playing back Blurays. I held off buying a dedicated 4K player and am glad I did now - because I would have purchased a 203.
For the infrequent times I would want to watch a 4K disc - Xbox One X is standing ready. Personally I find the whole 4K thing a bunch of hot air for the common man. It only really makes sense for screen sizes in excess of 65" or perhaps smoother, more realistic rendering in console gaming.

Last edited:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
My is experience is :
- it's hard to appreciate the difference between HD and Full Hd with my 40" Sony ( better to say Samsung )
Distance is approx .13 '
- my father a 50" monitor Kuro Pioneer and in this case everythig is perfect : it's an other galaxy .
Distance is approx . 10 '
At this point I think that the transducer ( screen ) makes the difference and not the resolution .
Am I right ? I don't know .
Besides I think that the part of the human brain devoted to the sight has a fantastic capability
to integrate the vision .
Ciao
Marco
Ps: I have no space to replace my Sony with a new 60 / 65 " tv set .