DENON DP 1500 FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
If the Jico Shibata would fit, that would be my choice. Might even buy an el cheapo XLM replacement stylus to see if they work on an Astrion first......for about 15 bucks your will know...then you could spring for the Jico.....

I'm just anxious for you to take a spin and see what ya think, since you haven't spun any vinyl in the last few decades....

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Why is there a discussion of a low mass cartridge for this tonearm? I don't see in the literature what the maximum cartridge weight (mass) can be but I would expect it to handle most cartridges, 4-8 grams, I guess.

This low mass arm wants a high compliance cartridge and here is where the database on vinyl engine comes in handy. Searching for any cartridge with a 10Hz compliance of from about 20 to 40 will provide the preferred 8-11Hz resonance frequency, depending on the weight of the cartridge and mounting hardware. This range is extended with proper cartridge weight.

A few that show up are the Ortofon OM 30 or 40, their color series of 2Ms, the Shure V15s, a number of Audio Technica (compliance at 100Hz almost double the number to get the 10Hz number) and a bunch of cartridges that are no longer available or good styli for an old body. I know what I would do but it isn't my tone arm, but I do have a table ready for it.

Seems to be lots of choices but if you have access to good vintage cartridges in nice shape that would be a good place to start.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Can't believe there are two watchers....$23,000...they can shove it up their uumpa.
They watch for signs of sanity. It's a spectator sport.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Unless of course, you want to go hog wild buddy...with a new cart that costs as much as a Very nice used car...$20,000+ Hehe, just ask Stephen, you heard what they can do...remember Supertramp ??

Hehe, evil enabler, stumiester!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I can't even pronounce the names of his carts.....BTW, that ad for the Astrion stylus is a waiting list....

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I'm stoked you found that turntable Lee, looks very well built. Love the arm on it, sure does look high end!

If you can't get the existing cartridge going with a suitable stylus replacement, I would recommend an Ortofon Super OM series cartridge for that arm with a 30 type stylus on it. A Shure V-15 Type 3 cartridge with JICO stylus would also be a great option. Both of these Carts I have heard on an SME 3009 SE2 Improved arm through two different system setups, and they sounded fantastic.

Looking forward to hearing about progress on this table.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Why is there a discussion of a low mass cartridge for this tonearm? I don't see in the literature what the maximum cartridge weight (mass) can be but I would expect it to handle most cartridges, 4-8 grams, I guess.

This low mass arm wants a high compliance cartridge and here is where the database on vinyl engine comes in handy. Searching for any cartridge with a 10Hz compliance of from about 20 to 40 will provide the preferred 8-11Hz resonance frequency, depending on the weight of the cartridge and mounting hardware. This range is extended with proper cartridge weight.

A few that show up are the Ortofon OM 30 or 40, their color series of 2Ms, the Shure V15s, a number of Audio Technica (compliance at 100Hz almost double the number to get the 10Hz number) and a bunch of cartridges that are no longer available or good styli for an old body. I know what I would do but it isn't my tone arm, but I do have a table ready for it.

Seems to be lots of choices but if you have access to good vintage cartridges in nice shape that would be a good place to start.

Would be nice if you were to rattle off more than a few of the AT models you refer to...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Or the Acutex I've been screaming about...it is an awfully nice cart...for way cheap.

but, of course there is the compliance issue......I would probably buy a cheap replacement stylus just to make sure the cartridge works before spending a boatload...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
vinylengine>database>cartridge database>manufacturer>audio technica>put 15 and 40 in the Dyn Compliance boxes (second in third column)> enter.

Get a long page, many discontinued but some very much still available as far as finding a cartridge and a good stylus or new.