Most iconic vinyl album covers ever!

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
Not sure if such thread was already published here, still let me try: what are your most iconic album covers?

I have just repainted my workroom having one wall ready to hang about 15 replicas of the coolest album covers (see the picture). Choosing by myself is no fun ;-)... So here is this thread - you are most welcome to suggest your best LP cover designs. Even later on, after all photocopies are finally done (planned in June) and you see the result shared here, we could still chat on more proposals coming in.

My first votes would go to two covers designed by Polish art directors for CBS - Szaybo and Atlantic Records - Zagorski (they were like brothers during studies in 50’ and then, after many colorful stories, they were hired in the US and UK in LP cover art industry - more info and more their artwork here: http://culture.pl/en/article/lps-designed-in-pl) and Storm Thorgerson.

Attached are some first album covers to consider:

• JUDAS PRIEST ‘British Steel’ (by Roslav Szaybo)
  • HAIR SOUNDTRACK (by Stanislaw Zagorski)
  • PINK FLOYD ‘Wish You Were Here’ (by Storm Thorgerson)

rs judast priest british steel_7045194.jpg
sz hair_7045214.jpg
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29977-1368810053-2.gif

And your most iconic ones?

Attachments

Last edited:

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The first Elvis on RCA has to be up there:

As does the first Velvet Underground album:

And, maybe a bit of an oddball choice, but I've always found the cover for Ellington Uptown to be really special:

And why not... Nevermind the Bollocks is pretty damn iconic:

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
One of the most iconic record covers of the 1970s is Led Zeppelin’s fifth album, 1973’s Houses of the Holy.

... and it’s also one of the most mysterious. Fans have long speculated about the “meaning†of this cryptic image of naked, golden-haired children crawling around an apocalyptic landscape towards… what? Was it a reference to the creepy 50s sci-fi film Village of the Damned? An apocalypse cult? Or was there some “occult significance†to Jimmy Page? I’m sure there must have been quite a lot of stoned, meandering conversations back then about this one.

The cover, produced by the legendary London-based design firm, Hipgnosis, was shot on the Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland. Aubrey Powell, the Hipgnosis partner who actually designed the cover, told Q magazine in 2003 that the concept was based on Arthur C. Clarke’s novel Childhood’s End, where hundreds of millions of Earth’s children gather together to be taken off into space.

Read more at http://dangerousminds.net/comments/..._led_zeppelin_album_cover#vg4HFSkeXylcMz1c.99

hoth1.jpg