Big bottom

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
So, I'm finally getting my land legs back and been hard at things. I'm in the process of moving a couple thousand miles so I'm waiting for my stuff to catch up with me (being shipped). I've been building a work bench for my man cave, running wiring dedicated for the stereo, building a rack to house my gear and eagerly awaiting a skid of speakers and amplifiers:la:

I replaced all the drivers in cabinets I built way back in the day and was very pleased with the result aside from the extreme low frequency response, so I ordered an 18" ultimax sub to replace one of the 15" subs. I also scored a QSC mx3000a to run the two subs. The 18" will run 0-40hz and the 15" will run 40-100hz. Then my trusty PL400 will handle the 3 way stereo cabinets 100hz and up.

Anyways. Here's some pics! The sketch of the band pass cab is the gist of it but they have been ported differently from that drawing.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Is that speaker lubricant in the 2nd pic?? Nice place....a lot of space!!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Is that speaker lubricant in the 2nd pic?? Nice place....a lot of space!!
If I may quote Frank Zappa- "we didn't have no dope or LSD, but a couple of quarts of beer would fix it so the intonation wouldn't offend out ears". Yes, speaker lubricant it is indeed! The shop is about 30x50' and it's basically empty so I'm busy trying to get geared up. Maybe by the end of summer I can get my friend to drive his Pete out here with my lathe and mill. Then I can turn all the bad ideas in my head into reality! Need tunes first though.

Im trying to convince my girl into making the basement room a music/rec room and put the commercial gear in the shop and the vintage stuff in the house. Also been working on my father to part with his pioneer RT-707, we'll see how this all pans out! She tells me I should buy an "$80 boom box" from future shop instead of having that gear in the house. This is coming from a woman who LOVES music:violent1: Women, can't live with em, pass the beer nuts.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Nice looking up setup - that's going to be a great place to work and kick back.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I didn't see any big bottoms so...
:shaking2: Humana Humana! What's her resonant frequency!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Lee, I'm going to check as soon as my stuff gets here, but I think I have an open meter in the PL400. It's a series one, I wondered if you might have a replacement if it turn out to be NFG. Thanks!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'd have to rob one out of my stocker's, so no...I don't have a loose meter for a 400.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I'd have to rob one out of my stocker's, so no...I don't have a loose meter for a 400.
Ok, keep me in mind though. Is there any chance they can be rewound? When I'm home I have time to count off a billion turns of tiny wire if it's doable...

...But back to speakers. I've run the numbers on the new sub and it will be tuned for flat response from 20-40hz with response dropping 3db at 15hz. Then the 15" is pretty flat from 40-100 with one driver in it's cabinet. I don't know how to calculate that cabinet with an isobaric setup. I have an extra definimax 4015lf and wondered about going isobaric? There will be an EQ inline with the signal going to each sub to smooth out the transition between cabinets if need be.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I haven't heard of anybody rewinding the coil in a 400 meter........

AS for the speaker project....sounds like you have a good handle on that!!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I haven't heard of anybody rewinding the coil in a 400 meter........

AS for the speaker project....sounds like you have a good handle on that!!
Well then... Thanks for the vote of confidence! I just always wondered about the opposing driver deal. If I don't put two in that cabinet, I will buy one more and use them to make 3 ways for the PL gear in the house (if my GF comes to her senses)!

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Nice looking up setup - that's going to be a great place to work and kick back.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I didn't see any big bottoms so...
Nice to see that you have been paying attention to Angry Sailors avatar:bootyshake::thumbleft:
big bottom.jpg

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well then... Thanks for the vote of confidence! I just always wondered about the opposing driver deal. If I don't put two in that cabinet, I will buy one more and use them to make 3 ways for the PL gear in the house (if my GF comes to her senses)!

What I meant by that was you know more about that situation than I do...and good luck with that project!!

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Ok, keep me in mind though. Is there any chance they can be rewound? When I'm home I have time to count off a billion turns of tiny wire if it's doable...

...But back to speakers. I've run the numbers on the new sub and it will be tuned for flat response from 20-40hz with response dropping 3db at 15hz. Then the 15" is pretty flat from 40-100 with one driver in it's cabinet. I don't know how to calculate that cabinet with an isobaric setup. I have an extra definimax 4015lf and wondered about going isobaric? There will be an EQ inline with the signal going to each sub to smooth out the transition between cabinets if need be.
As far as winding your own meter, it can be done as long as you have the patience and the tools to do it :hello1:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
As far as winding your own meter, it can be done as long as you have the patience and the tools to do it :hello1:
Well I guess I'll put a meter on it when it gets here and see what's up. It doesn't work that's for sure. It used to, but my amp has a wonky power knob added to it and I think it turned on it's mount and possibly put 110AC through the meter :/ if that's the case it's toast and can't really be eff'd up by a rewind attempt!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Have you checked the resistors and diodes on the light board that drive the meter??

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Have you checked the resistors and diodes on the light board that drive the meter??
No, I haven't checked anything aside from seeing the meter doesn't work (as you can see in that pic), one meter is idle and the other is "AngrySailor half throttle". I have the PL schematics and the help of Phoenix Audio, so as soon as it gets here I will be investigating. But as I said, that rotary switch spun in the face plate and it's 110v I think it shorted to the light board. The lights work but the meter has rung up "Finished with Engines"...

Attachments

Last edited: