Big bottom

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
So a package came for me today. I installed the 18" in one of the band pass cabinets and hooked things up temporarily for a test run. The 18 is tuned flat from 20-40hz, then the 15 is tuned ~40-100hz. At 1400w the 18" cabinet jumps off the floor. I have to say "big bottom" has been achieved! Now I gotta build cabs for the house and retire the phase linear and other vintage equipment to the living room! Tomorrow I'll finish the wood working on the cabinet, start hanging them from the ceiling and installing the gear in it's permanent cabinet.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Did some sine wave testing and found some cabinet noise, nothing some glue and a few well placed screws wouldn't fix. Radius'd the ports due to minor air noise and installed gussets to stiffen the tops as they were vibrating. Those few little things made a big improvement. Quick once over with the paint brush and I think they're ready to hang from the ceiling. :toothy5:

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I love the looks of that big Rotel, whats the specs on that. Looks like the rack handles would interchange with a Spec 2....

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
110wpc rms. Dual power supplies. Rack handles are odd spacing @ 19 11/16". Face plate is 21 1/4" wide which makes it a bugger to fit in a standard rack! I'm planning to use it as my pre amp, but the bass tone control doesn't work. No noise in any position(signal passes through), just that the tone stays flat no matter where the switches and pots are.

The handles do look a lot like the spec 2 except to me it looks like the taper more to the face plate where the spec 2's look closer to 90*.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just looked at my Spec 2's, and yep, you are correct. Still a good lookin amp..

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
She was a dumpster rescue! So far as I can tell the bass tone control is the only function that doesn't work. Hopefully it's minor and I'm sure I'll be picking brains here when I get her dress off!

I sure would love to have the matching tuner! :sad7:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Got all the cabinets hung today. Gotta hook up the permanent speaker wires, but the hard work is done. BIG improvement in stereo separation and clarity by hanging the speakers. Lubricant never hurts!

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Got the gear installed in the cabinet today. I still have to look at the Rotel's bass tone control, then I'll be using it as the pre amp. I may make up a switch panel to allow me to select either pre amp easily...

Attachments