Derek92994's 700 Ser II White Oak conversion

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Does it reset when you power it off and do a cold start, or is this a permanent break in thing?

derek92994

Tagline
Cool, I'll keep it powered up 24/7 where possible. The only reason for powering it down is to move it (like demoing it at different location).

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The difference is there, but I don't know if it's worth leaving them on unless you listen to music every day.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I hate powering mine down. It seems a bit edgier and not as collected when cold. The 3600 pre is same way. It has to stay on or it loses its smoothness for a bit. The modwright dont but the pl does. Weird but fine

derek92994

Tagline
I hate powering mine down. It seems a bit edgier and not as collected when cold. The 3600 pre is same way. It has to stay on or it loses its smoothness for a bit. The modwright dont but the pl does. Weird but fine
How long does it take to come back from a cold start?

derek92994

Tagline
To my ears it will take close to a day to really get the real presentation back. Not like it's bad cold just not near as collected imo
Yeah mine sounded fine on a cold start. But it does get better after being on some time.

derek92994

Tagline
WOPL has been powered up for 13 days now, sounding sweet. Everything played though this amp reveals more detail in every way. Its always a nice surprise hearing those 'hidden' parts that previous amps didn't reveal. Speakers are doing well, I know my limits after experiencing 'woofer crack' on new years eve. Most listening is done at moderate level though for consideration of the neighbors.

I need to find a way of securing this amp to the cabinet, the two beams each side are metal so with some brackets I'm sure this can be achieved, then use the existing screw holes for the handles to attach it, also keeping the handles intact as they are a nice touch. I'm thinking of screws with an unusual head on them so they can't be simply unscrewed in the event of theft.

The other option would be to purchase a small rack, but it would have to be small so it doesn't go as high as the computer monitor on the desk above. I need to have Pre-Amp controls at my fingertips when in the listening position, which is how I have it set up now.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
WOPL has been powered up for 13 days now, sounding sweet. Everything played though this amp reveals more detail in every way. Its always a nice surprise hearing those 'hidden' parts that previous amps didn't reveal. Speakers are doing well, I know my limits after experiencing 'woofer crack' on new years eve. Most listening is done at moderate level though for consideration of the neighbors.

I need to find a way of securing this amp to the cabinet, the two beams each side are metal so with some brackets I'm sure this can be achieved, then use the existing screw holes for the handles to attach it, also keeping the handles intact as they are a nice touch. I'm thinking of screws with an unusual head on them so they can't be simply unscrewed in the event of theft.

The other option would be to purchase a small rack, but it would have to be small so it doesn't go as high as the computer monitor on the desk above. I need to have Pre-Amp controls at my fingertips when in the listening position, which is how I have it set up now.
These days it's unlikely a thief would bother with a power amplifier, the weight factor alone would be deterrent enough. My previous occupation for 16 years was evaluating home and business contents losses for insurance adjusters and there was a time when stereo equipment was high on the hit parade for thefts. But that became laptops, digital cameras, smart phones, etc., etc. - small expensive devices that can be grabbed and flipped quickly. It's unlikely that someone who burgles houses would even know what a stereo system is but if they did try to take it and discovered how heavy it was vs cash they'd get - it wouldn't be worth carrying.

According to police reports, if such things got stolen, it was usually someone who'd been in a home, saw it was there and knew what it was. In latter years, the primary reason I was called upon to replace 2 channel gear was fire/smoke and water damage.

derek92994

Tagline
I was about to ask you how it was goin..
Awesome!! Every spare moment of my time is spent listening to it. Im very grateful lee. Just been a bit busy running around. Just brought the loaner car home. Having a/c for a week is going to be a luxury. Auto transmission too. Lazy driving. About to head off to job network appt then the rest of the day is music time. Ahhh sonic heaven!

derek92994

Tagline
These days it's unlikely a thief would bother with a power amplifier, the weight factor alone would be deterrent enough. .
I hope so. Already come close to being ripped off while I was in the house. I'd still Like to secure it though. Its not a bad idea and won't hurt cosmetics of the amp. Someone in the same complex here had their whole house emptied EVERYTHING even the lounge.

derek92994

Tagline
Forgive my memory, but should switch at back of WOPL be on Direct or Normal? It is on normal now.

derek92994

Tagline
Normal engages a 1uf cap to strip DC on the input, Direct does not..
What is DC and the purpose of stripping it?

Does the amp have to be powered down to change this setting? I know you told me which setting to use but I forgot.