Derek92994's 700 Ser II White Oak conversion

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Always remember your above post, coz I'm gonna times that by a 100 when u tell us, [if u do 'fess up, that is], that u'v blown ur speaks up…..
I'll start the ball rolling by sending u back that spare 5" mid.
U'r about to need it more than me. ;)
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/2d7ce73b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
That mid was a gift to you for helping me land those JBL speakers on the bay, and it was the LEAST I could do in return!
I'll be honest and tell you (and all others) if I do blow any part of the JBLs up. You have made it clear about the approximate 'danger zone' though, I appreciate that. and I find it quite impressive that these 4311b's have taken more than DOUBLE their rated power.

derek92994

Tagline
Ed has a theory about the metering on the 700B's. He thinks they displayed them low to 1) keep folks from blowing up their speaks, 2) To try and get the meters to last...
I don't understand, wouldn't a lower reading on the meter encourage people to turn it up more therefore increasing the risk of blowing the speakers?

derek92994

Tagline
Damn Bro, only 75w JBL's w/ a 1000w+ amp and I am worrying about blowing up 300w CV's with a 500w+ amp LMAO!!!!

Your FUCKED!!! The WOPL will lull you into a false sense of security and then next thing you know with an inebriated listening session and a wee more on that volume because it sounds SO damn good and dustcaps will be flying across the room and your voicecoils are going to look like liquid mercury
Restraint is for SISSYS!!!!

Seriously I'm happy with the level I achieved there and will watch it closely, especially with Shpongle and Prometheus.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Sent you a PM Joe because I am totally confused about this now. Basically you are saying the meters are worthless above 100w's????
No that is not what I said Ron. I PM'd you back. If you are at +3 on the meters, you are hitting 200W peak with your music. The meters cannot respond that fast and therefore provide an averaging function. With the meters stuck at +3, you only have ~3.5dB of headroom left on a PL400.

0 equals 50W
+3 equals 100W
+6 equals 200W
+9 equals 400W

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
No that is not what I said Ron. I PM'd you back. If you are at +3 on the meters, you are hitting 200W peak with your music. The meters cannot respond that fast and therefore provide an averaging function. With the meters stuck at +3, you only have ~3.5dB of headroom left on a PL400.

0 equals 50W
+3 equals 100W
+6 equals 200W
+9 equals 400W
Are the above for a PL 400 stock or WOPL500 and how to calibrate for the extra power of the WOPL over the stock meter settings

I just sent you a message trying to explain what I was thinking

~3.5dB is a lot? That would reflect +6 on the meters right (if they went to that range) but would the meters be damaged in forcing them that hard to the right LMAO!!!! No I am not trying to kill Silvara, it would break my heart. If my back of the speaker 4A fastblos are not popping and the meters are already pretty much flat... the amp is capable of putting out 8A to the speakers right? It just seems the amp has so much to give and I have never got her to clip. My preamp volume has never been above 1 o'clock for any source for fear of damaging my 300w CV speakers. It just looks wierd to someone when they see the meters all the way flat and say how are you not hurting it and it just gets louder LMAO!!!!!

I'll tell you what, Jer builds one BITCHIN' amp. I am totally surprised I have not fried something yet

Last edited:

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You are not asking for consistency out of Phase Linear are you?
Its what I expect of everyone. Little wonder I am continually disappointed. Its also why I tend to like gear more than people. I can either make it do what I wish, or dispose of it without having to rent a backhoe.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I was just testing this to see how loud these sounded.. It's amazing what 133 will do . 200 was like WOW! Then I got in trouble so my test ended ..

derek92994

Tagline
2 hours sleep, been up since 5am, its 5pm now, did some house work and should be exhausted. But not when there is a WOPL in the house, can't resist. I'd say I got an hour or two left in me after I smoke this stuff. What a great christmas, the best I ever had. Its finally good to sit down after today =).