what are you listening to?

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Roger Dean's artwork is the only reason why I have any Yes albums, I can't stand the band

Michael Whelen has done countless album covers and a bunch of fantasy book covers. He also did all the artwork for Steven King's The Dark Tower Saga

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The Beatles in Mono

Cracked open the Mono CD collection.
Listening to Sgt Peppers at the moment.
It just dawned on me, there's no such thing as mono when you have two ears.
There's still linear depth and space albeit not with highly discreet push of instruments or vocals to the extreme left, right or center.

The mixes are subtlety different but interesting to the (stereo) accustomed ear.

BeatlesMonoBox.jpg

You haven't heard 'Helter Skelter' until you've heard it WOPL'd in mono.
Beast mode, paint peeling guitar shreds...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Roger Dean's artwork is the only reason why I have any Yes albums, I can't stand the band

Michael Whelen has done countless album covers and a bunch of fantasy book covers. He also did all the artwork for Steven King's The Dark Tower Saga

Ah......

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Nice selection, thank you! Your Technics is getting more frequent use, Derek. I have a 1983 issue of Stereo Review magazine which has a test report on the Technics RS-M234X cassette deck. Would you be interested in a scanned copy presented in another thread?

Nando.
I'd love to see it, thanks Nando. Let me know which thread. There is the bigger brother of the M245X coming soon, the M253X which needs a cam belt, but very cheap. It is the 3 head model and has bias fine tune. The AX heads in those machines are superb being amorphous type, very quiet with low hiss even with dolby off.
The Technics M245X plays excellent, especially recordings made in the JVC, it also played your mix tape very nicely. I kind of forget that its a single capstan unit sometimes.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Just making sure we're talking the same language. So you erase it before you play with it?
"For great entertainment, try having your head lapped" (he says, while Stirring Vodka & Tonic with ice and lime twist and donning royal blue crushed velour bathrobe.)

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
The Beatles in Mono

Cracked open the Mono CD collection.
Listening to Sgt Peppers at the moment.
It just dawned on me, there's no such thing as mono when you have two ears.
There's still linear depth and space albeit not with highly discreet push of instruments or vocals to the extreme left, right or center.

The mixes are subtlety different but interesting to the (stereo) accustomed ear.

View attachment 17934

You haven't heard 'Helter Skelter' until you've heard it WOPL'd in mono.
Beast mode, paint peeling guitar shreds...
I got the box set as a Christmas gift the year the mono box set came out. I, only, unsealed it for a friend of mine who borrowed it to listen to it. He's a big Beatles fan. And I hadn't even listened to it, myself, but you've inspired me to play it, Tony.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I'd love to see it, thanks Nando. Let me know which thread. There is the bigger brother of the M245X coming soon, the M253X which needs a cam belt, but very cheap. It is the 3 head model and has bias fine tune. The AX heads in those machines are superb being amorphous type, very quiet with low hiss even with dolby off.
The Technics M245X plays excellent, especially recordings made in the JVC, it also played your mix tape very nicely. I kind of forget that its a single capstan unit sometimes.
I will get the article scanned and posted tonight, Derek. If I find any other articles/test reports on cassette decks that members own, I will try and post them, too. It will be, possibly, posted in the "Cassette Deck Memory Lane" thread. I am going to learn more about the models of decks you have just added to your collection.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I will get the article scanned and posted tonight, Derek. If I find any other articles/test reports on cassette decks that members own, I will try and post them, too. It will be, possibly, posted in the "Cassette Deck Memory Lane" thread. I am going to learn more about the models of decks you have just added to your collection.

Nando.
I've had the Akai GXC-325D and Technics M245X for 1 or 2 years, they have just been upstairs in the storage room.