Zach's 700B Thread

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
With a few updates:

Star Point Ground Scheme for PL700B Amplifiers
Star ground details for PL700B, the following wires attach to the copper bus bar "star point" ground (these connections are effectively CHASSIS GROUND in the PL700B):

1. Main transformer center taps (generally 2 wires)
2. B+ 9800uF cap, negative post
3. B- 9800uF cap, positive post
4. Left channel speaker negative binding post (black binding post, note connect both negative binding posts together with short copper bus wire)
5. Right channel speaker negative binding post (black binding post, note connect both negative binding posts together with short copper bus wire)
6. Ground wire to Light Board
7. Ground wire to the center terminal of the two 3 terminal barrier strips mounted on amp back wall. DO NOT connect the far right barrier strip center terminal to anything further to the right of this point. The original wiring had it connected this way and is a mistake.
8. Ground wire to pad 5L on White Oak Audio PL14_20 control board

No other connections should exist to the star point ground.

Other SIGNAL GROUND connections are made as follows:

1. Right channel RCA input shell to pad 2R on White Oak Audio PL14_20 control board, this is usually the shield ground in the shielded cable (note that this RCA jack shell and the copper metal plate MUST be isolated from CHASSIS GROUND).
2. Left channel RCA input shell to pad 2L on White Oak Audio PL14_20 control board, this is usually the shield ground in the shielded cable (note that this RCA jack shell and the copper metal plate MUST be isolated from CHASSIS GROUND).
3. There are generally 2-220K resistors from the input tip connection of both RCA input jacks to ground right as the signals come into the amp. The ground for these resistors must be SIGNAL GROUND, not CHASSIS GROUND. A picture of the recommended wiring for the input switch is shown below.

Notes:
1. The original PL700B amp wiring had the speaker negative binding posts attached to the copper input plate and by virtue of that to the input RCA jack shells as well as the DIRECT-NORMAL switch frame. These connections MUST be removed, they are a big problem for a single point ground.
2. The SIGNAL GROUND is connected to the CHASSIS GROUND on the White Oak Audio PL14_20 board through a 2.7 ohm resistor in locations R2L and R2R.​

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just now saw that Joe. I should spend another 2 minutes looking I guess. How was your trip??

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Good trip but very long. Lot's of flights and hotels, long days and nights. When you are over there you are "on" almost 24 hours every day because of the traffic you have to keep up with from HQ. The weather was great for the most part for the entire trip.

Glad to be home, a lot of catching up to do as a result.

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Good trip but very long. Lot's of flights and hotels, long days and nights. When you are over there you are "on" almost 24 hours every day because of the traffic you have to keep up with from HQ. The weather was great for the most part for the entire trip.

Glad to be home, a lot of catching up to do as a result.
Ug, that doesn't sound fun at all.

Call me doubly grateful for your replies now!

...and try to get some sleep, man.

Zach

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Well, my 700B is up and running with the star ground and verrrrry little hum. You can just hear it with your ear against the speaker, and I was still running it on the bench with an MP3 player and plugged into the same outlet as a fluorescent lamp. I'm calling it good for the moment. Hooking it up for real in the morning.

I plan to run it for a while as is to be sure everything remains OK, then it's time to install the White Oak driver board. I'll probably grab a light kit, too.

My new class started today, so I'm not sure how my time will run. I might be away for a bit, but I'll be back. I've got something to do to each of my Phase Linear pieces, most of which I already have a handle on, and I'd like to document them here.

Hum in my 300 II
Recap my 3300
Perform the mod at the link on my 4000, assuming it applies to mine. It might not- depends on the unit.
http://home.onemain.com/~jvandyke/id9.html

Anyway, thanks a bunch guys!!!

Zach

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
On the 300 Ser II--- be careful around those outputs, those are the same ones the Pioneer SX 1980 uses so the cheap surplus was gone quite awhile ago, almost unobtanium now.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
On the 3300 Ser II---besides just caps, order some Burr-Brown OPA-2134 op amps to replace the ones that are in there. Should be 3-TL=-072's and a 5532. A world of difference when those are replaced.

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
On the 3300 Ser II---besides just caps, order some Burr-Brown OPA-2134 op amps to replace the ones that are in there. Should be 3-TL=-072's and a 5532. A world of difference when those are replaced.
Already bought them on your recommendation. Have the caps, too.

Just gonna need some time.

Zach

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Man, talk about detumescence...

Hooked up the 700B with the 4000 this morning. Turns out the 700 has some distortion in the right channel that's noticable at higher volumes- sadly not mach 5, but normal levels. It wasn't obvious with the little speakers and player I was using on the bench.

Dangit!

Then I realized that the AC accessory relay on the 4000 welded up, too. It's been running the 300 II just fine, but the extra current form the 700B...

Dangit!

So, I went ahead and swapped out the IC's in the 3300 and now it's playing with the 300 II right now.

Can't say how much difference there is with the new IC's, since it's been quite a while since the 3300 II has been in the system. Sure sounds nice, though.

Good thing this is just a hobby.

Oh, well.

Zach

NP: Hot Rats

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
There are 4 fuses in the 700. You can have 1/2 the sinewave in either channel gone and it will sound like that. Also, check the 4 diodes on th back wall, one of those blown will have the same symptom.

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
There are 4 fuses in the 700. You can have 1/2 the sinewave in either channel gone and it will sound like that. Also, check the 4 diodes on th back wall, one of those blown will have the same symptom.
Thanks, I'll check those out when I get a chance.

I knew I should have scoped it again before putting into service, but it sounded fine at low levels. I got excited.

THe fuses were good at one point, but who knows, I did break a transistor leg somehow. :lol:

Zach

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Hooked up the 700B with the 4000 this morning. Turns out the 700 has some distortion in the right channel that's noticable at higher volumes- sadly not mach 5, but normal levels. It wasn't obvious with the little speakers and player I was using on the bench.

Dangit!

Then I realized that the AC accessory relay on the 4000 welded up, too. It's been running the 300 II just fine, but the extra current form the 700B...

Dangit!

So, I went ahead and swapped out the IC's in the 3300 and now it's playing with the 300 II right now.

Can't say how much difference there is with the new IC's, since it's been quite a while since the 3300 II has been in the system. Sure sounds nice, though.

Good thing this is just a hobby.

Oh, well.

Zach

NP: Hot Rats
Damn dude you made me look it up. Guess this mean you're not tumescent?

Zach C.

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Damn dude you made me look it up. Guess this mean you're not tumescent?
Well, I definitely was, but not now.

At least I had the other units, and had the new OP amps laatch recommended for my 3300II. So, not only did I still have stylin' gear to listen to, but also had a cool upgrade to make me feel better about the suck that was the 4000/ 700B.

:)

Zach