Yamaha CD-C805 - anyone know it?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I also posted this on AK's Yamaha forum.

It's somewhat embarassing needing to ask a question about a Yamaha component because for 16 years I worked for an electronics retailer who's main line was Yamaha.

I just acquired a CD-C805 made in 1990 for $5 because the tray did not open. I happened to have a belt that was going to go on a CD-C715 but that one had more problems and was not worth fixing. Since I still had the belt, I took a chance on the CD-C805, put the new belt on and it all works fine now.

From what I recall, 1990 was the first year Yamaha offered S-Bit and the changer lineup consisted of a CD-C605, CD-C705 and CD-C805. Also, from what I recall, the step up feature from a CD-C605 to a 705 was direct track access on the front panel and from a 705 to 805 - optical out, 2nd changer control and pre-set DSP equalizer settings. Would that be an accurate assessment? If there are other differences, I am keen to know.

I am most curious about the DAC's Yamaha used. From what I can determine, Yamaha used an S-Bit 4 DAC system in the CD-C805. Was that the same system used in the less expensive models? I remember Yamaha using S-Bit Plus then S-Bit Pro during subsequent years. Would these be significantly better that what was used in a CD-C805?

For $5, I did not get the CD-C805's remote but I kept the one for the CD-C715. Does anyone know or remember if a factory CD-C805 remote could change the DSP settings or were those only ever accessible from the front panel?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You got it for 5.00, you fixed it and it works?? Brother, you just won the lottery....nice iron ain't they?/ How's it sound??

62vauxhall

Tagline
So far, have just used headphones directly into the player but it sounds pretty good. Will need to extract the HK HD7600 from the system to play it through the PL. I was still somewhat anti CD when these were current but I do remember A/B comparing Yamaha CD players with Sony equivalents for customers. The Yamaha's always sounded better and most often even the customers noticed it.

62vauxhall

Tagline
I can do that and even do an A/B/C comparison. In addition to the HK HD7600 (another 1 bit), I've got a Philips player I don't use that has dual "legendary" TDA1543 16 bit DAC's and, I believe, no oversampling. I don't use it because the display is shot.