World's greatest session drummer packs his kit at 90...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The Wrecking Crew is missing it's thunder today as Hal Blaine passed away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cel...rock-hall-of-fame-member-dies-at-90/ar-BBUEoK

His 90th birthday was celebrated with some of the best drummers in the world.

Blaine played on thousands of recordings, some of the most notable being for the Beach Boys, the Monkees and filling in at Monterrey Pop for artists that didn't normally have a drummer like the Mamas and the Papas.

Many of those Monterrey Pop bands became the end of the Crew's dynasty when they had capable musicians of their own but Blaine continued working in television on shows like the Brady Bunch and just kept going.

Hal Blaine created some of the most iconic drum lines of the rock era and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame as a Sideman in 2000.

You may recognize him best from the Ronettes' Be My Baby or maybe Good Vibrations...Hal was in the studio for many of the classic Phil Spector sessions He learned to play from people who taught him Gene Krupa and other swing/big band legends.

It was Blaine that coined the name Wrecking Crew when somebody said these kids in jeans and t-shirts are gonna wreck everything, but instead they created the greatest music of the 1960 and became the establishment themselves.

Last edited:

kingman

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Drummers rarely hit the spotlight. One of the most technically correct drummers I ever saw was Tommy Aldridge when he played for Black Oak Arkansas. He could make those skins talk! Saw him years later with Ted Nugent and he literally "hadn't missed a beat!" :laughing3:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Don't bother if you can get them from Legacy (Sony/BMG) for well under 20 bucks, at least the greatest hits.

I got Billie Holliday for a buck at a yard sale and McCartney Wingspan (2 CDs) for maybe $2. And I could tell that somebody my age or 10 years older had passed if the thrift store got LASERDISCS in. Or decent LPs and not 101 Strings.

Know how to stop that ripoffbay thing? Just ignore that crap, a few stupid people may fall for it but it will sit there until they figure out the car payment or mortgage, taxes aren't getting paid that way. Taxes are due in 1 month and a week, no need to remind Lee.

And I have an entire LP of Benny Goodman, Les Brown, Gene Krupa that I taped from the library in the 80s and bought a good copy of a couple three years ago called Let's Dance.

I still have good 4 track carts too, with at least one of the rubber 'gidgets' is it?

Last edited: