Windows 7

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Well I am rebuilding a Dell computer I got over 5 years a go. I got a 1`TB 7200 RPM HD and 1 GB of memory. I thought my HD was messing up. Come to find out it was my memory. I ordered another stick of it today. Was running Vista. I hate Vista. It has crashed about 4 times in 1 day. I had to reload the whole program twice. So I got an upgrade to Windows 7 for less than 80.00. I like 7 we have it on this computer.

Larry

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I try to find older computers that had XP installed and import the hard drives or fix the computer up. Windows 7 does sound nice. If I run Windows 2000 based computers I am finding myself finally having to deal with alt. browsers like Firefox if I even want to use You Tube (explain to me how I'd otherwise tweek the darn thing to be optimized for FLASH anyhow)?

It gets hard to explain this to mothers who want to "fix this computer up for the kids" but then again I fixed this computer up for an old girlfriend and it made it's way to Mom by way of acquaintance so at least I know what I have.

PS Is there a setting you can adjust so that the text body in the editor doesn't change the font color when I move in and out of the box?

At the moment either my settings or yours switch it for yellow out to a deep red in that really kills me to read while typing? There are reasons that I have for the color schemes I use, many related to vision but if you don't already have some CSS? style settings available I have to dart about to proofread. Having the cursor off the window helps but many pages elsewhere will not function correctly unless I am somewhere close or in that box. This one doesn't care, I guess so maybe I'm learning something. Never the less if you leave the box and click it will bounce back and it seems to want to go back to that spot, regardless of where you left off. XP SP3/IE 7 all updates known to me.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
If you move your curser over to the right, the color changes back to yellow. At least with me it does, I hate computers more than Larry, my bud Dale says Google Chrome fixes everything, I'll wait for that.....Where's my dinner Web :angryfire:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yeah I hate that editing "feature" myself. It's buried somewhere in the theme between the CSS and javascript - guess I could go find it and "neuter" it (before I too go nuts.. heheh)

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
stuwee said:
Where's my dinner Web :angryfire:

I made roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy, but if you can't show up on time it gets put away. Them damn Nascar Junkies can race around in circles for hours on end, but when stuella yells "Come and get it" they run and hide.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Web Police said:
stuwee said:
Where's my dinner Web :angryfire:

I made roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy, but if you can't show up on time it gets put away. Them damn Nascar Junkies can race around in circles for hours on end, but when stuella yells "Come and get it" they run and hide.
Stuwella says she wanted Pork N Beans ( I really wish you wouldn't, she smokes ya know, Ka-Boom) :twisted: should you bring her a doggie bag, I'll blow out the pilot lights hehe

Uh oh, stuwella just had a oops, better not give the roast beef to your puppy Web

Attachments

speakerman1

Tagline
Now that is just gross. I was at 5 minutes left on my 5 hour download and the electricity went off. had start all over again. Well I'm extracting it now. Did I mention I hate Vista. LOL Even with everything I have just updated it gets real slow and locks up. Then goes again then stops. I'm glad I'm getting rid of it.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
stuwee said:
better not give the roast beef to your puppy Web

Stuwee, my lil baby Nakita died about 6 weeks ago. She lived a fairly long life 10.5 years but a heart attack took her while I was at work. She had an enlarged heart and an irregular heartbeat. I was going to start a separate thread as a memorial, but it brings many tears to my eyes and I haven't been able to create the thread.

Sorry didn't mean to rain on this thread.

As far as Windows 7 goes, yes it is far superior to Vista and is what Vista should have been when it was released, although if you have your Vista properly installed and up to date it should work ok also.

I myself still use XP on all of my machines except for a laptop with Vista. To me there isn't really any benefits to upgrade as long as MS still supports XP.

elroy

New Around These Parts
speakerman1 said:
Now that is just gross. I was at 5 minutes left on my 5 hour download and the electricity went off. had start all over again. Well I'm extracting it now. Did I mention I hate Vista. LOL Even with everything I have just updated it gets real slow and locks up. Then goes again then stops. I'm glad I'm getting rid of it.

Larry

If you have been locking up with vista, and 7, then you might have a different hardware problem, and if its running slow, you need a ton of ram for vista and 7, to run good, something like 4 gigs is wery good, 1 gig would be at the minimum imo. also, from my past experience, the first thing I change out is the power supply, the originals go bad, and you have lockups, 50 bucks from newegg, and that usually fixes the issues with my machines when they start acting up.

elroy

speakerman1

Tagline
It was Vista running bad. The 7 is doing great now. Except it won't read a HD written in XP Pro. Says it is invalid. Ordered another stick of memory.

Larry

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Go into either your Administrative permissions or what ever that OS has that we'd call a compatibility mode and see if you can get it to recognize the drive.

Computer Management? that's where you get a new drive recognized or partitioned/formatted/married to Madonna.

If No Go, backup the XP files for later if you can't get the drive recognized.

speakerman1

Tagline
orange said:
Go into either your Administrative permissions or what ever that OS has that we'd call a compatibility mode and see if you can get it to recognize the drive.

Computer Management? that's where you get a new drive recognized or partitioned/formatted/married to Madonna.

If No Go, backup the XP files for later if you can't get the drive recognized.
Been there have tried everything. On the 7 site a lot of people have this problem. I just hooked it up to my laptop. I think I'll give my son this one and just keep my laptop. It is the drive that Graham sent me so it is full and I'm not buying a bigger drive at this time. I even put in a faster burner on this computer. It only did DVDs now it does both pretty fast.

Larry