Why yer 3rd party hosting won;t party no more...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/

And Photobucket isn't the only one. Ingur won't link that way wither as I understand. Host it yourself.

PB is owned by News Corp I gather. Good luck and directly visiting pages is a spamventure itself. You might want to get all you have saved soon because at $39.99/mo. or $399 a year for the P500 account required you won't want the pleasure of buying their pizzas.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/

And Photobucket isn't the only one. Ingur won't link that way wither as I understand. Host it yourself.

PB is owned by News Corp I gather. Good luck and directly visiting pages is a spamventure itself. You might want to get all you have saved soon because at $39.99/mo. or $399 a year for the P500 account required you won't want the pleasure of buying their pizzas.
We don't give a hoot about Photo Bucket in that article. We do care that Sony is restarting vinyl production after a 30 year hiatus, 2 articles down

orange

Tagline
Yeah, but even posts on Craigslist are getting %^($ed up now.

orange

Tagline
Pressing new vinyl at Sony for ASIAN markets isn't going to affect us a lot.

orange

Tagline
PS Remember when all CD output was more or less from Polygram in Europe or maybe Japanese?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
We don't give a hoot about Photo Bucket in that article. We do care that Sony is restarting vinyl production after a 30 year hiatus, 2 articles down
Read about that yesterday Joe, Interesting....

orange

Tagline
Free photohosting is becoming a Dodo but that's just plain stupid.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
My 2 nickels, it's all about the $$'s, PB shot themselves in the foot and then again up their ass on this. We are lucky here to have the posting pic ability from our own files. Thank you for that :cheers:. However, some of us use these hosting sites on forums that require that 3rd parting hosting, and almost overnight, millions of pics are now gone from millions of threads. FireFox warned about this months ago.

I've had a PB account since 2006, didn't use it that much so I haven't hit the 'threshold', all my pics on other sites are still up. I went to Imgur, it's quick, fast and it works for now :glasses9:. But for how long? Things are changing pretty fast, and we don't have a say in the matter right now. Those of you who say "So what, it doesn't affect me"? Guess what, it just might soon...think about it!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I prefer to clog all my devices and cram all my pics in them. Buckets are made for one thing and one thing only..... kcking them...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
PB blows, I hope they offer users the chance to get all their photos on CD backup

Imgur still works, still the best of the hosting sites

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My 2 nickels, it's all about the $$'s, PB shot themselves in the foot and then again up their ass on this. We are lucky here to have the posting pic ability from our own files. Thank you for that :cheers:. However, some of us use these hosting sites on forums that require that 3rd parting hosting, and almost overnight, millions of pics are now gone from millions of threads. FireFox warned about this months ago.

I've had a PB account since 2006, didn't use it that much so I haven't hit the 'threshold', all my pics on other sites are still up. I went to Imgur, it's quick, fast and it works for now :glasses9:. But for how long? Things are changing pretty fast, and we don't have a say in the matter right now. Those of you who say "So what, it doesn't affect me"? Guess what, it just might soon...think about it!!
Maybe we will finally return to the age of self reliance.

There were other photo hosting sites that went belly up long before PB. It is foolish to think that you can trust someone else with your stuff. If you care about it, keep it yourself.

These free sites will end up belly up eventually when the next web model replaces the current one. None of them make money. Even Comcast rescinded its included disk space hosting and that was a pay for feature.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I never relied on posting anything to a third party image hosting site and if I di I considered it temporary at best. For the longe4st time I had my own webspace and put my images to share their. I recently lost the sapce though and so far have survived without it.

I'd never post something I didn't have a copy of on someones else's site though.

orange

Tagline
And I apparently may sit corrected in that somebody pointed out to me that News Corp. sold PB to Onvela something or other, which changed it's name to Photobucket Inc. or whatever.

So it's not Rupert Murdoch, apparently he's smarter. But we have Picture Bro to add to Pharma Bro.

stuwee

I hear what Joe and John are saying but, some forums don't let you post pics or, only a limited number at first. So these free sites are all you can have to share some of yourself. All my pics on on backup flash drives so I don't worry about losing them.

Another PB issue is that many folks over the threshold and not paying for the higher tiers of membership can't access their pics right now to move them somewhere else (I know, their fault if they didn't back them up). Still, this is sooo very wrong on sooo many levels...

What about that 'Cloud' shit?? Lot's of people all over the world loading info up there, or more likely down there in hell :pale:, I smell some really stinky shit about to hit the fan...:evil5:

Thank God our President is internet savvy and knows whats good for us in the US, unlike most world leaders, HaHa!! Expect big changes in the USA at least...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I hear what Joe and John are saying but, some forums don't let you post pics or, only a limited number at first. So these free sites are all you can have to share some of yourself. All my pics on on backup flash drives so I don't worry about losing them.

Another PB issue is that many folks over the threshold and not paying for the higher tiers of membership can't access their pics right now to move them somewhere else (I know, their fault if they didn't back them up). Still, this is sooo very wrong on sooo many levels...

What about that 'Cloud' shit?? Lot's of people all over the world loading info up there, or more likely down there in hell :pale:, I smell some really stinky shit about to hit the fan...:evil5:

Thank God our President is internet savvy and knows whats good for us in the US, unlike most world leaders, HaHa!! Expect big changes in the USA at least...
If you moved to a free cloud, do so at your own risk. It costs those companies that host free cloud services real money to provide that service. When the business model they have does not live up to shareholder expectations and has to change, you become the victim.

Instead shell out a few bucks and buy a GoDaddy (or equivalent) space to link your pictures from and save a backup copy locally. In this way you will not become an unwitting victim of a free business model gone bad.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
We have Jer to thank for being able to post our pics here. Storage is cheap, but keeping the platform updated, and maintained isnt. That takes time, that Jer provides, and his killer deal on location and bandwidth makes it all possible. Thanks again Jer!#

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
We have Jer to thank for being able to post our pics here. Storage is cheap, but keeping the platform updated, and maintained isnt. That takes time, that Jer provides, and his killer deal on location and bandwidth makes it all possible. Thanks again Jer!#
You bet. Yep just checked.. through the 7 years we're at 42 percent, and can add a bit more. But yeah, echoing the sentiment - if you value your pics, keep a local copy somewhere.

stuwee

Thank you Jer :notworthy:, we do love our pics 'round here!! Lee, have you looked into one of those harness do-hickies that stabilizes the phone while partyin' and taking pics? :laughing4: love ya!!

Wow, 7,777 posts, and Jer and Webbie nippin' at my heels...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hey shothead, as much as I had to drink yesterday I couldn't have stabilized shit. ...