Whoreo's (Rob's) WOPL 400 in for Warranty Work

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A brief recap....after the initial repair, when putting it on the scope and AP, when I turned the generators on I had voltage set on 2.36 , from the last max out I ran in the killowatt range on Stephens 700. Blew the minus and plus rail fuses. Positive was obviously blown, minus looked good, did NOT check with ohm meter. So I never had a scope reading with minus rail voltage, but did have minus rail voltage on the unfused check points. DUH....
So after, getting both the minus rail voltage AND pico fuse fixed , looked good on the scope....
back on the horns.....sounded like shit again. The Acurus pre required exercising the balance and input select pots to get sounding right.....but it is once again sounding like a WOPL!!

Guys ----DON"T ever take anything for granted----you'll look like a fool...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Through DCP, maybe? If the DCP is good, should not be possible...

Now that waveform's more like a wopl, Lee. :headbang::laughing6:
Amen...

If the DCP is good, it shouldn't backfeed output voltage from one channel to the other...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Romped on it pretty hard....sounds excellent....does require a fan though...darn 400's....

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I like these repair threads to even though I don't understand any of it. Sounds like you need to clean up your Acurus next Lee? Spray pots out or something?

Northwinds

Tagline
I always worry about my pots but not on my preamp. My tube guitar amp seems to get scratchy fairly quickly (we burn wood and it's near the stove so gets dusty quick). Sucks because I have to pull the whole chassis out of the cabinet after removing the 7 tubes and flip it over to access the 10 pots. I only have the CEC electronics cleaner so I am sure I need to get something with some lubrication or I will eventually hurt the wipers inside the pots. Someone said WD-30 would work but I am not so sure I would trust that as it does not evaporate like Faderlube would?

Last edited:

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Great thread Lee!

That moby would have some thumpin' bass for sure. Haven't heard that track in years.

I have no stereo tech experience at all but if you are looking for a great lubricant, Triflow is an amazing product. I use it on my bike mostly but I have found many other uses for it around the house and in the garage. Aside for something requiring an actual grease, its my go to. I don't use it on chains though, Rock N Roll Blue, is the go to for lube chains (sorry getting off topic).

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Interesting that a mius pico fuse being out on the right backplane will cause plus rail voltage on the LEFT speaker out...,
Both channels actually Lee. The right channel is the feed to the plus and minus on board regulators. When you lose the right channel negative pico fuse, you have no -18V available for either channel thus all the control board is capable of doing is driving plus, which it does.

Northwinds

Tagline
Quick threadcrap...

Man, I would love to see a WOPL done with dual trannies. Like use this chassis and use a Phase Linear back chassis welded on so you can use backplanes. If you have a handy 30A hookup, you can get 4000w bridged @ 1ohm as this sits now :headbang:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Quick threadcrap...

Man, I would love to see a WOPL done with dual trannies. Like use this chassis and use a Phase Linear back chassis welded on so you can use backplanes. If you have a handy 30A hookup, you can get 4000w bridged @ 1ohm as this sits now :headbang:

I'm working on that as we speak. Dual Torroids, 24 outputs for the left channel, and 24 for the right...... Using the back plane portion of 2 old chassis' and the fins... I have a great idea for an enclosure.... Pics and stuff to follow soon... Gots to have the back plane board made (one large one).

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
you guys had me worried for a bit...trannies?

Still not sure what y'all are talking about but I know it's not what I think....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Rob, she's boxed up and ready. If I get a couple minutes during the day it'll go out tomorrow. Sorry about it taking so long..

Attachments