Who pushed the re cap button ?

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
A friends C2. You know, you really gotta love this shit to spend as much time as I do restoring one of these. The time alone is worth way more than this thing would ever sell for.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If yer talking about a Carver C2, I have built some killer ones and sold them for good money. They are inexpensive Pre's and respond VERY well to upgrades. Very basic.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Kenwood basic C1's and C2's . I have never had much luck finding Carver stuff around this area. If I find one I will sure post about it.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Those Kennies are supposed to be the bomb...

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
They do sound nice and the C2 has a great phono section. Yep gotta pull each one, dissemble it and clean it and put it back together and solder it all back on the main-board. It is time consuming and fun.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Yep. I am spying a Carver C2 on the bay for 120.00+Shipping says one channel cuts out when the balance control is turned. Are those sealed ? If they cannot be repaired does anyone know if the part is available...Too much to ask ? BTW Lee I like those infinitesimals too...

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Didn't those Kenwoods have issues with the balance control?
The C2's did. I only had one that did not. There is a way to fix them but it's a real pain in the ass. I just jump them out. I rarely use the balance control. The C1's never have had any issue with the control.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep. I am spying a Carver C2 on the bay for 120.00+Shipping says one channel cuts out when the balance control is turned. Are those sealed ? If they cannot be repaired does anyone know if the part is available...Too much to ask ? BTW Lee I like those infinitesimals too...
They can be cleaned without disassembly (Carver C-2). It is probably dirty and needs the pots cleaned

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Gotta pull em to clean em??
absolutely. The pins need to be cleaned and the slider needs to be cleaned and shooting crap in there isn't the answer. Yamaha has a pile of these in their gear, too. Did my C-4 and a commissioned CA-1010.

I'm not afraid of them and with a good soldering iron (temperature controlled) it is not hard. I wonder how easy it would be to use a desoldering iron. Those wafer switches in the Yamahas cause problems, too and need to be taken apart to do it right.

Last edited: