Who is the Dynaco guru here? Just found a gorgeous Dynaco stack

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Go here for parts and updates for each item in your Dynaco stack: https://www.updatemydynaco.com/

So I've built a number of Dynaco kits - SCA-80Q, PAT5, 416, ST70 clone, etc. Started back when I was a starving college student in the early 70's with the SCA-80Q. Built the 416 and PAT5 when living in Amsterdam in the late 70's. My son uses the ST70 & PAT5. I have an FM-5 (factory built, but I've completely restored and aligned it), PAT5, PAT4 (2x), and the 416 - all of which have been restored and upgraded. It all works great - no complaints. I can highly recommend Dan at update-my-dynaco.

I would not recommend switching on the Stereo 400 with a PAT4 preamp. The switch is not rated for the inrush current (one of the reasons Dynaco came out with the PAT5.

Factory wiring was not all that neat. Best ones I ever saw were kits built by great technicians - far better than the factory ones. Time is money...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Thank you both-

The wiring in mine is... not pretty. Appears to have been factory assembled, due to internal labels/stickers etc. I saw. But, it also has been messed with by someone else, because I doubt the factory used masking tape and magic marker to label wiring harnesses...

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Dynaco sold a lot of audio equipment in the 50's through the 70's. They had some of the biggest selling equipment with the ST 70 which sold over 350,000 units and many of them are still in use today. The solid state units didn't sell as much as the tube equipment but they were pretty robust and many still are available

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Thank you both-

The wiring in mine is... not pretty. Appears to have been factory assembled, due to internal labels/stickers etc. I saw. But, it also has been messed with by someone else, because I doubt the factory used masking tape and magic marker to label wiring harnesses...
Working on a 400/416 driver board is a PITA. Doing so will certainly mess up a neat assembly job. Thank the tech who labeled stuff and left it for the next tech.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I’m the next “tech”, unless it is sold before I get my irons on it…

The linked documents, plus Hi Fi Engine are invaluable for this.