Which Yamaha tuner?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I know Joe posted a recommendation on the best tuner...and I had it bookmarked, but now have lost it. What was the model number? I have a fellow audio nut who has asked what "the best tuner" might be...

Any recommendations appreciated...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
After a little searching I found that it was the T-85, I think. Still didn't find the particular reference by Joe, but I am thinking that is right. Do you know anything at all about the Phase Linear 5100 tuner, or the older 5000?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The 5100 ser II's were built by Pioneer. Open one up...unmistakable PCB markings..

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I know Joe posted a recommendation on the best tuner...and I had it bookmarked, but now have lost it. What was the model number? I have a fellow audio nut who has asked what "the best tuner" might be...

Any recommendations appreciated...
the T85. They come up from time to time. I found one in mint shape on CL

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
After a little searching I found that it was the T-85, I think. Still didn't find the particular reference by Joe, but I am thinking that is right. Do you know anything at all about the Phase Linear 5100 tuner, or the older 5000?
recommend you check out ratings and opinions on The Tuner Center website. They are the authority on FM tuners

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Thank you so much for the responses. I read the review and now have a better understanding. I wish FM would make a comeback. With the advent of satellite radio, it seems that all our good stations have all but disappeared. I remember many nights listening to the "Wolfman" on WQUT. If I can find a good price on a T-85 one of these days, I may jump back in. Thank you again...

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Sometimes you can pick up a receiver with a really good tuner section for cheap. In my case, it was a Luxman R-5030 at a flea market for $25. The amp section needs TLC, but the tuner section is awesome. If you like heavy tuners, there you go. FMtunerinfo does not rate receivers, however.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thank you so much for the responses. I read the review and now have a better understanding. I wish FM would make a comeback. With the advent of satellite radio, it seems that all our good stations have all but disappeared. I remember many nights listening to the "Wolfman" on WQUT. If I can find a good price on a T-85 one of these days, I may jump back in. Thank you again...
There is a lot of decent FM in the Boston Area. I listen often

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Denver is also one of those cities where FM is still king. We always scan the airwaves when we're on a Denver trip....

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hey Sutton, just to throw something else into the mix, I rarely listened to pop/rock on FM, mainly classical on the superb UofA station that broadcast live concerts from around the globe, Moscow/Vienna/Stockholm etc...listening to this through a 1959 Pilot tube tuner was an experience I'll not soon forget

Tube tuner with classical/jazz = :happy2:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Get your money out, FF has a point and I'm not giving up my Pioneer TX-9100.