Which Ones Would Make Good Projects..?

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I was at a friends picking up speakers for another friend. This guy is an antique dealer that is into audio, mainly tube gear for himself. He is always picking up stuff at estate sales all over the state. His phono cartridge collection is out of this world!

Anyways, he has a section of stuff for sale that is the not working or in need of repair. I welcome any opinions on what might be good to try and get working. I took some pics!

stereo's.jpg IMAG0299.jpg IMAG0298.jpg IMAG0295.jpg IMAG0293.jpg

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I was at a friends picking up speakers for another friend. This guy is an antique dealer that is into audio, mainly tube gear for himself. He is always picking up stuff at estate sales all over the state. His phono cartridge collection is out of this world!

Anyways, he has a section of stuff for sale that is the not working or in need of repair. I welcome any opinions on what might be good to try and get working. I took some pics!

View attachment 24171 View attachment 24172 View attachment 24173 View attachment 24174 View attachment 24175
I like the oddball stuff myself so if it were me, I'd get the Trio HiFi Amplifier (multi-band receiver and mono to boot) and the Garrard turntable which would hopefully be a changer.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hey nadude98, nice sansui gear there, what is that on top of pic 4? And that tube amp off to the right in pic 5 looks like a console pull, is it a Pilot? If so, snap that baby up dude! Pilot tube amps are the best on the planet...none better!

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
He is supposed to give me prices on everything when he gets back from Florida next month.. I've already made a commitment to buy a Technics SL-120 and SME 3009 from him when he gets back. He wants $300 for both Sansui amps.. seems high for non-working to me...? One channel is out on one of them and the other has noisy phono... That should be easy to solve. Are there any NLA parts on them? I'll look into the tube amp but not sure he was including it. ;_)

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hey nadude98, nice sansui gear there, what is that on top of pic 4? And that tube amp off to the right in pic 5 looks like a console pull, is it a Pilot? If so, snap that baby up dude! Pilot tube amps are the best on the planet...none better!
The Trio?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Trio is early Kenwood. That is an early one with an 'eye tube' aka magic eye, it's tubed and mono but it does have SW reception which is a plus on those old hi-fi sets. This is possible a comm receiver.

Below that is a Ford-era PHILCO. Skip it unless you are really into stuff from the end of life of great American companies.

Sansui AU-717 is a very nice amp...you realize Jerry has one in his FS stack....the other AU amp in the xx00 series is also worth every penny. The R-series receiver from towards the end of the classic Sansui run...also a nice set, would be a nice garage set or backup.

That looks like a Pioneer or maybe it's short lived sister line Centrex on top but not the best they could make...my TX-9100 alone is one of the nicest analog tuners they ever made.

I see what looks like HK stuff under the purple CD burner? Then a Carver CT-24 tuner-pre with Sonic Holography

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?24711-Sonic-Holigraphy says it's a nice pre but skip the holography. The Hitachi below that is an average Hitachi, not a high powered beast, not ugly either, just a Hitachi.

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Picked up most of that stuff except the Philco, Pioneer tuner, Phase Linear amp and the Trio. He want to keep the Phase Linear preamp though I am going to try to fix it for him. Did someone want a price on the Trio?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I can vouch for the Carver preamp/tuner. Pretty damn good unit but did not do MC carts which is why I sold mine

That Sansui AU-717 is a nice integrated but can be very problematic

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I can vouch for the Carver preamp/tuner. Pretty damn good unit but did not do MC carts which is why I sold mine

That Sansui AU-717 is a nice integrated but can be very problematic
Haven't checked it but the only problem with the Sansui is supposed to be the phono section is noisy..? I'll check the Carver after I get the Sansui G7000 done.