Which 6922/ 6DJ8 Tubes to Select For Phono Preamp?

braxus

Journeyman
http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_nos_6dj8_6922.html

Looking on Chris's website for tubes. I am getting a phono preamp custom made and we need 6 tubes for this thing. Of all the NOS tubes available on his site, which ones would be a good batch to get? I'm looking for a sound that has good dynamics, so I want tubes that will compress the sound the least. I had Valvo ones picked out for that reason, but they sold out it seems. Also want the sound to have good air and depth, and not roll off the extremes too much. Bass control is also important.

Any suggestions?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
STRONG AND WORKING IS MY FAVORITE

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I never heard of a preamp tube offering bass control, anything tube is not know for good bass period, you just want QUIET military spec tubes. Don't get sucked into the tube bullshit because it all means nothing, end sound is what the amp can deliver, the preamp just feeds a signal. Power amps control the bass and that requires damping factor which tube amps have very little, definitely not the preamp tubes. I would be more concerned with the tube amp power tubes (if your using a tube amp). If your using SS for power, it's a moot point and your just chasing tone and quietness in the preamp

Last edited:

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Traded the original Electro Harmonics tube - 6922 that sells for $15 for this NOS Telefunken E88CC/6922 with the platinum upgrade test installed in the Blue - Robbie Pre-amp. The first recording session was outstanding using a Miktek - CV4, then the Robbie & then through a Manley ELOP+ tube compressor/limiter. The acoustic guitar sounded outstanding. The next night's session was to record an electric Steinberger bass guitar through this Robbie. As soon as he started playing, both people in the room, said at once... WOW!!! It has incredible warmth and tone. Very, very happy! Can't wait for the results on the vocal tracks.

Last edited: