What the... (SX-1280)

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
You just need to get the Counterpoints and Thiels out of storage (basement?) and teach the kid to leave the stereo alone. Edit: easier said than done but doable.

I have two daughters who learned early on that dad's stereo was not to be fooled with - nor were the records to be touched. Until they were old enough to enjoy reproduced music. Then they got their own stereos - decent ones, I might add - which included turntables and they've been off to the races since. They're teaching me about music I should be listening to - and their choices are good.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The boy is all over CDs. I make “mix CDs” for him all the time. Today it was PJ Masks cartoon audio… he has a couple portables in two rooms and he sings along with the Beatles or President songs.

He can absolutely amaze you with how well he does; and then, 20 seconds later, amaze you with the destruction he unleashes.

Just turning on the big system in the wrong order can destroy a driver. My wife didn’t even mess with it other than changing CDs and adjusting volume ( and her dad worked for Mark Levinson), so…

It gets to a point it’s too friggin fiddly to enjoy. I accept it because the payback (listening) is worth the effort to me. Maybe I’ll get the Kenwood tower working up here (need a CD player) and see if they destroy anything…

borchee

Journeyman
J!m, you're calculating with wrong elements! Use veritasium and then it all falls into place - settling on the "baby"-Pioneer, instead of SX-1980, means a minimum of 1.2K profit.
Now take that and go with a "baby"-Studer for 1.1K...

J!m baby Studer.JPG

...which leaves you with yet another 100 in profit.

At the end of the day you have two pieces of great gear and 1.300 smackaroones in loose change. Surely your wife can appreciate that.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have to draw the line at about 2 grand for a nice receiver. These guys out there think they are wearing golden panties and I can't indulge them. I too am in the market for a killer receiver but I won't pay over 2K. You can score a nice one for that. You may not win the Dick Measuring Contest but life would suck if you always did.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Regardless of whatever else I may or may not sell, I’m with ya Perry. I won’t pay two grand for a receiver.

The right one will come along eventually.

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
I have to draw the line at about 2 grand for a nice receiver. These guys out there think they are wearing golden panties and I can't indulge them. I too am in the market for a killer receiver but I won't pay over 2K. You can score a nice one for that. You may not win the Dick Measuring Contest but life would suck if you always did.
Marantz 2600

Technics SA-1000, rated at 330 watts per channel

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Dunno ...friend had both i know the Technics SA-1000 was just as heavy as a 700B

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I have a Sansui 7070 60 watt receiver which i like very powerful i see them sometime on the bay for less than $400