What Sub Amp is everyone using?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Right now I have a cheap Pyramid 4 channel amp bridged feeding a cheapo Lanzar 12 driver in a vented enclosure. I have an M Audio Mobile amp I could use, and I have been looking at the other stuff out there, like Planet Audio, Boss and Alpine (which looks the best so far). I think the M500 is the one...It's about $150.00 and has some pretty good reviews..I know I probably need to upgrade the driver too, but it's really not all that bad....plus it is in a car...subject to freezing and roasting in the baking sun. I really don't want to put a high dollar driver in the van to be baked..I'm also still using the stock head unit in the 2006 Honda Osyssey...I was thinking about going with a Pioneer just to get the 3.5 mm input..plus the obviously better sound quality and flexibility it would offer. What do you guys think? Anybody into mobile audio in a big way...Any budget minded mobile audio guys?

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I've been out of it too long. (1995-2000)I remember JL, Rockford and Orion making some really solid amps. Im sure there are plenty of others. Alpine was always a nice all around company on everything they did. I remember really liking A/D/S , Audison and Adcom but those days are gone.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Sutto that Rockfork I had for years was unreal.... I bought it at Toads in about 2001.... I let it go with a truck a year ago and it was still thumping.....

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I just listen to the stock systems in my cars. I haven't felt the need to mess with the factory systems since the early 1980's.

If I was going to mess with them subs would be last on my list.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Well, I gotta do something. I just blew either the Pyramid amp or the Lanzar driver in the van. Don't know which one yet....but one of them went. Now I'll have to go back with the M Audio an/or the Lambda 12"driver until I can figure out something better, but if I don't blow them up, I may just stick with thme.

Some car stock systems are awesome. The system in my Hummer is fantastic, and Kevin had a car with a Monsoon system in it that was probably one of the best car systems I've ever heard. Hell, I've even heard some Bose systems in cars that didn't suck.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Well, I took the van to Adam's today, and I really did a number on it. First off the BIG 20 amp fuse out at the battery was blown. Replaced that and it worked for a minute, then the sub started sounding a little scratchy, then we had smoke and a little flame...the cheapo woofer must have been the culprit. I replace it with a Lambda, and while we were at it, replaced the Pyramid amp with the MA Audio amp (which has a working crosover) so now I have a nicer amp driving a nicer driver...Now I just have to wait for the speaker to "break in" and as Kevin knows, the Lambda definitely has a break in period..and then you are in for it...The way it sounds now is awesome, so when she truly starts sounding its' best, I'm afraid it might break the glass in the van...seriously, cause it easily sounds better than the cheap speaker did....already...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Hell Yeah....and it sounds awesome...I'm hearing things I didn't know were on some CD's. It really is THAT good.I know you are thinking it's overkill, but it is not....plus, I still have the 15" ones for my main inside subwoofer...the MA Audio amp and the Lambda are really something...I listened to Spongle and Younger Brothers for 10 straight hours on my frive to Florida...and remember how Bill's sub suddenly came to life after a few weeks....like night and day? I wonder is that is going to happen in the Honda? I think we may have used a Stryke sub and not a Lambda for Bill's sub though, so it may not happen with this one... I almost hope it doesn't...cause I don't think it could sound any better. I thin all it could do is start shattering windows, and having the steering wheel and shit start coming loose....that would be some bad shit...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The MA Audio Amp and the Lambda 12" sub driver are rocking the Honda...I really can't use the rear view mirror any more. It's now useless...just waiting fokr it to fall in the floor..Man, I wish Sphongle would come with some new CD's. Got them all pretty much memorized now...

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Shponglin' down the road... love it!!

I still have a stock factory setup, but it's one of those higher options built by Infinity. 6 disc changer in the front with an outboard amp, 6 speakers+sub. It's not too bad, but as of late I get some "rattlin'" if the bass hits a little too hard. That bugs me... how to narrow it down and fix???

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Thats a good stereo in that car ! Just add ya a new Sub. A 10 or a 12 with about 200 watts of true power and you will be SHOCKED !!!

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
jbeckva said:

I still have a stock factory setup, but it's one of those higher options built by Infinity. 6 disc changer in the front with an outboard amp, 6 speakers+sub. It's not too bad, but as of late I get some "rattlin'" if the bass hits a little too hard. That bugs me... how to narrow it down and fix???
Replace the sub. LOL

Larry

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
jbeckva said:

Replace the sub. LOL

Larry
Aint the sub, m'man. It started when the back window was replaced and "Jorge" (the glass guy.. I know his name cuz the company emailed me it and his pic too, lol) kinda hosed up with the trim 'round it. It's that or 'round the trunk somewhere. Sub's fine... :thumbright:

How did the back window get whacked?? Well, that'd be me not being careful enough with the mower one time... heheh (live n learn)