What Sub Amp is everyone using?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Oh, and some pics of tht roadside subwoofers. They were in Kicker boxes, so obviously that is what replaced these guys...so that tells me something....but the guy did keep them (until this move to another house) so...........does anybody have any idea about them? They are dual voice coil, vented pole piece, butyl surrounds, poly cones...and that's about all I really know at this point..Would you toss them, or give em a go? I may take them to the mobile audio guru, along with the 12" Lanzar, and let him be the judge...probably the best idea...

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Just got a Planet Audio 2200

and it sounds pretty fair for a 90 dollar car amp. It is a 2 channel amp which I have bridged. It produces 500 watts into 4 ohms. I think my MA Audio is still the clear winner, but for the price, the Planet Audio is pretty hard to beat. Has anyone else picked up one of the Bravox drivers that Parts Express is selling? I have a 12 and a 15". Put the 12 in my van and it is definitely going to need some break in time. The whole thing is stiff as can be. I hope it loosens up some. The cone is pretty wild looking. I really am hoping the 15 will work well enough for an inside sub. Both drivers will use a fairly small enclosure. The 12 used something like 3 cu. ft vented, and the 15" takes about 4.5' if I remember correctly. If you really want something on the cheap, look at the sub amp from VM Innovations. It appears to be made by Planet Audio and is a monobloc producing around 550 watts RMS into 4 ohms, and appears to be 1 ohm stable. Here is a link for the Bravox drivers..

http://www.parts-express.com/brand/bravox/523

The 15" driver is 99 bucks and the 12" is 85 bucks. See what you think. I've used Bravox driers before (8"and 6 1/2") and made some pretty nice speakers. Parts Express had these discontinued drivers bout 10 years ago, and I built about 10 pairs of really good speakers (TMM) for under $200.00 per pair including MDF, veneer, crossover parts, and everything.

http://vminnovations.com/Product_48638/VM-Audio-SRA2200-1-2200W-Mono-AB-Amplifier-w-Remote.html

is the link for the 59 dollar mono sub amp

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-...d=1382967824&sr=8-4&keywords=Planet+Audio+amp

is the link for the two channel Planet Audio amp.(It has a 4 year warranty from Amazon too ! )

These may all be Class D stuff, but it really doesn't sound half bad. Listened to my wife's set-up in her Jeep Wrangler most of yesterday, and it sounded great. All stock except the Planet Audio amp attached to a 1.5 cu. ft. vented box with a 12" Parts Express Quatro driver. Damn Sweet.

Last edited:

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I'm driving Salk HT-3s with an AVA T-8+ preamp and 550 Ultra Double. The 550 has the stock tubes, and I replaced the stock tubes in the T-8 with RCA cleartops.

I suppose the only changes I might make in the future would be to upgrade to the new AVA Ultra Valve preamp and/or the 600R, but that's probably a long way off.

I'm a very happy camper.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I don't run subs, no need to when running real speakers like CVs or Infinitys made to pound. I can see how a sub would help a tube system though!

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't have a sub, but if I did, it would be YELLOW.

braxus

Journeyman
I currently have two sets of systems waiting for the two cars I eventually plan on getting. Not running a system in my current car. My one system is a Pioneer Premiere cassette head unit that also connects to a 6 CD changer. I have 1 Kenwood 400 watts 12" sub and two older PPI chrome bodied amps. One 4 channel and one mono channel. Puts out 360 watts Class AB 4 ohms I think on the sub amp. Second system is another Pioneer Premiere cassette head unit and another 6 cd changer. This time I have a Class D Alpine V12 sub amp that puts out 600 watts into 2 ohms. And an Alpine class AB 4 channel V12 amp for the main channels. Sub is a Type R 4 ohm dual coil.

PPI and Alpine are my amps of choice. Both pound good. Not sure how good the current stuff is from Alpine, as my amps are from 2005. PPI has gone down hill, but my amps are from the 1999-2001 timeframe. Both subs I have are 12".

orange

Tagline
Fortunately the Yellow Sub came with Beatles and a brass band.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I run a smaller V12 as well. It powers my Pioneer Premiere 12" shallow mount in my truck.

orange

Tagline
And this is the end of the line for my favorite sub, as they are amping it from $5 to $6. (Subway Footlongs)

Last edited:

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
I don't run subs, no need to when running real speakers like CVs or Infinitys made to pound. I can see how a sub would help a tube system though!
I have heard a lot of speakers over the years !!! I've heard one set that a real good 15 inch sub would not help !!!! and those were in Wyoming !!!! I don't care how good you THINK your bottom end is !!! Put a REAL GOOD Sub in the mix !!!!! World of difference !!!!

orange

Tagline
I have heard a lot of speakers over the years !!! I've heard one set that a real good 15 inch sub would not help !!!! and those were in Wyoming !!!! I don't care how good you THINK your bottom end is !!! Put a REAL GOOD Sub in the mix !!!!! World of difference !!!!
All I know is that when I get on the bottom end too long and have to get out of the chair, I walk funny for a bit.

Tagline
---
Right now I have a cheap Pyramid 4 channel amp bridged feeding a cheapo Lanzar 12 driver in a vented enclosure. I have an M Audio Mobile amp I could use, and I have been looking at the other stuff out there, like Planet Audio, Boss and Alpine (which looks the best so far). I think the M500 is the one...It's about $150.00 and has some pretty good reviews..I know I probably need to upgrade the driver too, but it's really not all that bad....plus it is in a car...subject to freezing and roasting in the baking sun. I really don't want to put a high dollar driver in the van to be baked..I'm also still using the stock head unit in the 2006 Honda Osyssey...I was thinking about going with a Pioneer just to get the 3.5 mm input..plus the obviously better sound quality and flexibility it would offer. What do you guys think? Anybody into mobile audio in a big way...Any budget minded mobile audio guys?
I have an Alpine MRX M55 and I like it a lot
550w RMS in 4 ohms and 350 in 8 ohms I think.

I use a 4 channel Pioneer for the door speakers and it's nice, dunno that it has ever wow'd me though.

That's two mentions of Rockford. Never heard a bad thing about them.
I have a 2 channel RF amp that's great, been using it for quite a while.

Last edited: