What is best audio Distortion meter Bang for Buck

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Oh it’s fine it’s why I ask I have to decide if I want to NOT know what I’m doing with a $150 dollar unit or not know what I’m doing with a $2500.00 unit lol . If I get the cheaper one validated and am able to work with it I may become smarter for it . And still keep it all wife freindly .
Beware Greg! Nothing we do here is wife friendly...

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
The AP units are very capable of running many tests without the need for any external programming, they have automated them internal to the unit. They are more expensive as a result.

To do the equivalent parameter sweep on the HP units, generally speaking, requires you to know how to program the units via HPIB programming. Not all that easy and the documentation supporting that is quite poor.

AP basically gives you the easy button, not easy on the HP units.

Both are good machines and can do impressive testing, depends largely on your capability and how much you want to spend. The QuantAsylum boxes are quite good but are nearly unobtainium due to production shortages at this time. I will own one of them once they clear their production problems in addition to the HP I currently have.
When I was looking for some, I also looked at the HP 8903B Audio Analyzer and the ATS1 (but you need some optional boards install, if I recall)
but their are all old,,,,, and you never know how beat up they are or if they will even work and for how long.

What does anybody thing of the HP 8903B Audio Analyzer?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Greg, here is a screenshot of the first generation QuantAsylum QA400 running a 1000 kHz fundamental at 250 mVrms on loop back. THD loop back distortion is .0007%, and THD+N is .004%.
This is the first generation QA, and there is almost no documentation on this legacy unit. Newer units are much improved along with the software. It took me a week to figure out how to get exactly 250 mVrms out of it. Partly my lack of knowledge and not so good software on this early unit. Later units and software are much improved along with documentation.
I love this thing and am looking forward to buying the latest and greatest if they ever get the chips.

Attachments

George S.

Nope, using that mil-spec Belden 83284, stranded. Same as I used in the amps. Amphenol 69475 BNC connectors harvested from what I was told was a old DOD radar installation. The Hakko desoldering station makes quick work on the Amphenols. They look like new before installing new cable. Very high quality.

Attachments

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
New forum header.
BMW guys might be aware of UUC Motorwerks .... they produce parts and various things we guys "need" but trying to explain to significant others ends up with blind stares and rolling pins to the head!

A little history regarding how they came to be .... as it fits Phoenix appropriately!

What is UUC Motorwerks? UUC is the acronym for Underground Upgrade Club.

For those automotive enthusiasts who have "significant others" (wives, husbands, etc.) who do not understand the desire and need to enhance the performance of a vehicle, welcome to the club.

If you ever get these kinds of questions: "Why do you need new wheels when the old ones are fine? Why do you need new suspension if the current ones aren't worn out? Isn't your current car fast enough?" - we empathize with you. You might just have to hide a few things from the Missus or your Old Man. You know the drill...no credit card or check purchases... sneaking cash to buy upgrades to feed your automotive addiction. For your convenience, UUC Motorwerks accepts cash and we ship discretely. We can even ship to your employer!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

Greg

Journeyman
It’s a old relic . I have one I use as a door stop. The real issue is getting a good enough signal generator. Lee got you covered buy a audio precision ats-1
it does it all.
Im an old relic working on old relics with old relics Universe is in alignment !

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Im thinking this unit is pretty basic and yet will provide you with at least an idea that things are in the ball park at a reasonable cost.

Hewlett Packard HP Model 334A Distortion Analyzer 1 of 2.MOV - YouTube
I've got one. Picked it up at The Dayton Ham radio show 30 years ago. About to retire it as I bought the HP8903. Haven't got around to doing much with it.

The 334 is pretty straight forward. You need a low distortion oscillator such as the HP 204. If you want to go real vinatge, pick up an HP 202 oscillator. It was the first HP product built in their garage. The HP339 combines the oscillator and analyzer. I've never had the 334 calibrated but from what I can tell it's still accurate. You can't beat the build quality of vintage HP gear.

Sound Technology is another vendor. I had two given to me. We used them at Sound Values/Sound Valves. Again pretty straight forward. I'd like to find a tech that knows them.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
BMW guys might be aware of UUC Motorwerks .... they produce parts and various things we guys "need" but trying to explain to significant others ends up with blind stares and rolling pins to the head!

A little history regarding how they came to be .... as it fits Phoenix appropriately!

What is UUC Motorwerks? UUC is the acronym for Underground Upgrade Club.

For those automotive enthusiasts who have "significant others" (wives, husbands, etc.) who do not understand the desire and need to enhance the performance of a vehicle, welcome to the club.

If you ever get these kinds of questions: "Why do you need new wheels when the old ones are fine? Why do you need new suspension if the current ones aren't worn out? Isn't your current car fast enough?" - we empathize with you. You might just have to hide a few things from the Missus or your Old Man. You know the drill...no credit card or check purchases... sneaking cash to buy upgrades to feed your automotive addiction. For your convenience, UUC Motorwerks accepts cash and we ship discretely. We can even ship to your employer!
I used to be friendly with Ben. He has a swapped ti too.

DSMtech

New Around These Parts
We have two Sound Technology 1700B's at work and I was given one two yrs ago that I use at home. Only one at work still gives me good readings and I still need to clean switches on all three and install new PS caps.