What is best audio Distortion meter Bang for Buck

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I've got 2 sound technology analyzers sitting the garage. Had them given to me when a local shop closed. Haven't found the time to check them out. Also have to S.T. oscillators. Same status as analyzers. Does anybody work on them. Can't find any docs on them..

A.N.T.

Journeyman
Tagline
Femtoamp- Volt- and Tape- nut.
I use a computer based analyzer (RME sound card + AudioTester software) for most measurements on cassette decks or cassettes, however I own for many years and maintain in a good working order a hardware analyzer - Amber Model 3501 Distortion and Noise Measuring System. There are times when this unit is indispensable. It has an excellent generator (-116dB distortion/noise) and an ability to notch the main frequency and display the residual only together with the signal ("MONITOR" outputs). If I work (as I've used to do a lot) on power amplifiers, this thing allows me to see in details the distortion behavior of an amplifier , especially pre-clip with a difficult/reactive load. I know of no other way to detect a mild oscillation (could be several MHz) in a particular part of the signal, showing exactly at what point this oscillation occurs. The same goes for crossover distortion. FFT analyzers give you a figure and a spectrum, however a good hardware analyzer gives you a proper window into the details of an amplifier behavior.

Cheers

Alex Amber3501_001.jpg